Sneezie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #1 of

I wanted to know if there is something that removes food color from your skin? I bought some decorator gloves (wilton) and they are huge. Thanks!

15 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #2 of

Good old fashion scrubbing.My hands are in and out of water so often it wears off.I often have stained hands from coloring fondant.I also use a bit of bleach in the bath tub.

pjaycakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of

I usually just use the regular hospital type gloves. If I get some on my hands I use a diluted bleach solution about 1 capful in about 4 cups of water and scrub my hands with it. That gets most of it off, and the rest just has to wear off. Maybe someone else will have a much less chemically way of cleaning your hands.

msfox1 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of

You can use a non-gel toothpaste to remove color from your hands. It works well and isn't as harmful as bleach.

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm
post #5 of

Toothpaste works good and is friendly to the hands icon_smile.gif
Here's some other tips to help you that work for both hands & clothing:
Make *sure* NO water touches the color.
Spray the spot(s) w/Windex well & 'scrub'icon_smile.gif
Rinse with the *HOTTEST* water you can possibly stand
Before you begin, rub shortening on your hands. This is especially helpful if kneading color into fondant.

Sneezie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #6 of

Thank you so much for your advice!!

pjaycakes Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #7 of

Thanks for those tips. I'll have to try the toothpaste, has to be better for the hands than Clorox. thumbs_up.gif

Cookie4 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:29am
post #8 of

I use a spritz of Clorox Clean-up and it magically disappears. Discovered this tip from a Day of Sharing here in Texas. Works like a charm with no scraping.

CelebrationCakery Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of

That is funny...I do the bleach too...I just put a little on my hands and rub them with soap and immdiately rinse (very) well with water...I then immdiately put lotion or shortening on my hands(depending on if I am done in the kitchen)...my father always used to put bleach on his burns...and not a scar to see....(he was in autobody work)

funtomake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:46am

i have used nail polish remover and it works great, at least for mild stains.

jklm3721 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:18am

My decorating instructor gave us the hint to wash with a dab of dish soap, a squirt of lemon juice and a little sugar....works like a charm (and not harsh on the hands)!!!

HTH

Misty

LisaMS Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:39am

Invest in some of those plastic food handling gloves. One of the best things I ever did for kneeding coloring into fondant. icon_smile.gif

cwcopeland Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:42am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

I use a spritz of Clorox Clean-up and it magically disappears. Discovered this tip from a Day of Sharing here in Texas. Works like a charm with no scraping.

I do the same and I'm from Texas too!!! I keep a bottle of Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen for every day use. I also keep a bottle of lotion in my window and use it every time I use the Clorox (either for cleaning the kitchen or my hands).

marjiw Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:47am

My Wilton instructor also said to use toothpaste. I have used it a couple of times and it does work.

Juds2323 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:09am

I bought non-latex hospital gloves - got them at costco. I bought the non-latex ones because didn't want to take a chance with allergys. My friend is allergic to latex and so I'm extra cautious about it. They fit great too.... I just made a big mess with the wilton ones. Very rarely get color on my hands.

HTH

Judi

Cake_Princess Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:31am
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMS

Invest in some of those plastic food handling gloves. One of the best things I ever did for kneeding coloring into fondant. icon_smile.gif

I agree, I can't imagine using non-latex hospital gloves for kneading fondant or for food handling. I work at a hospital and those gloves have a weird smell to them. I would not want them in contact with my food for prolonged periods.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%