Anyone Use The Upside Down Method For Icing?

Decorating By yellobutterfly Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm by alanahodgson

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 12

I was just looking thru the articles and was fascinated w/this article on icing your cake upside down

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

wondering if any of you do this or have tried it and what your thoughts are?

11 replies
daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 12

I use to use that method. My icing came out so smooth but it was just a little too time consuming for me so now I don't do it that way anymore.

eatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatCakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 12

I've tried it and it's amazing how smooth everything comes out. It does take a bit more time, but I think I might start using the technique again just because of how well it works, and how easy it is! icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:30am
post #4 of 12

I use it 99% of the time. The only issue I have with it is getting a smooth top with no air bubbles showing through. I cover most of my cakes with fondant so air bubbles or not, it doesn't matter.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:38am
post #5 of 12

I tried it a few times and think its more trouble than its worth.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:11am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

I was just looking thru the articles and was fascinated w/this article on icing your cake upside down

http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html

wondering if any of you do this or have tried it and what your thoughts are?

i used this method if i need my cake to be darn near *perfect*. i don't think its time-consuming at all. as a matter of fact, i spend less time icing my cake with this technique than if i tried to iced it without it. here's what i do for a nice, smooth top (keep in mind, though, that i used smbc). make sure the icing is very soft, sometimes i microwave it a bit, then smooth it on the parchement paper (i actually used vinyl) in one direction. then give it a few good taps against the counter ( i used a clear cutting board so i can lift it and look underneath to make sure it has no air bubbles and is smooth). works like a charm...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:47am
post #7 of 12

I use it for topsy turvy cakes - does NOT take more time than trying to ice THEM smooth and it really gets em perfect.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:24am
post #8 of 12

I tried this once on a 2-layer cake and it was a disaster! How do y'all do it without the filling squishing and then ruing your perfectly smooth sides? Refrigerate first?

alanahodgson Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:17am
post #9 of 12

sometimes I refrigerate before flipping, but most of the time I don't. Never had a squishing problem. Make sure you use a nice stiff icing for the dam. For someone who is already skilled at getting sharp corners, the method may seem like a pain. I'm not really that good at doing it freehand so this is no hassle at all to do it that way.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 12

will this work on square cakes??

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 12

Wow that looks great. I think I may have to try this.

alanahodgson Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

will this work on square cakes??

for sure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%