Can Ct's Or Royal Icing Transfers Be Kept In The Freezer?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm by c420

Trixyinaz Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 7

I offered to make the 1 year anniversary cake for a girl at work for her wedding. Her baker doesn't do the anniversary cake and she was pretty bummed. Her theme is Mario Bros. and I showed her a cake here on CC (BeckySue). She did a CT. She loves the top tier and asked if I could make that for her 1 year anniversary (minus Mario on top).Since this is going to be frozen for a year, will the CT be okay in the freezer? Do I do a different type of transfer? I guess I could do a FBCT, huh?

What other ideas could I do for this anniverary cake? The cake won't be at the wedding. I'm going to bring it to them after they get back from their honeymoon.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Oh, here's the cake (top tier only) that she wants:

6 replies
springlakecake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 7

Anything that has been in the freezer for 1 year isnt likely to be that good anyway! I guess I don't understand why the baker wont do an anniversary cake? It's usually just the top tier.

CT's tend to be brittle when cold. I am not sure how color flow would hold up.

If it were ME....since the cake wont even be at the wedding, I would just offer to make her a cake in 1 year (a fresh one!)

khoudek Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 7

Color flow and royal icing can be stored at room temp in a low humidity container and shouldn't go in the freezer. I store my stuff in picture boxes you can buy. If you close them up tight they tend to soften, so I don't use something like a Rubbermaid container with its tight lid.

Trixyinaz Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:12am
post #4 of 7

I thought about offering her the cake at 1 year so it is fresh. I will propose that and see what she says. Yeah, I'm not sure why the baker wouldn't make a small tier on top. I didn't understand that either when she told me that.

If she wants me to make the anniversary cake, is there a special way to wrap it up and store it in the freezer? I'll let her know that the CT or whatever transfer I end up doing won't hold up well in the freezer.

springlakecake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #5 of 7

I do freeze undecorated cakes for months and they are still great. What I do is wrap in saran and then in aluminum foil. If it would be for a year, then I would do it twice!

springlakecake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #6 of 7

BTW, maybe it isnt that the baker won't do it, but maybe her baker won't do it for FREE. Some bakers will and not add the cost of the top tier into the total price.

c420 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 7

I saved my top tier for our year anniversary. I was expecting yucky, yucky cake after a year in the freezer. However, it was really good! It was wrapped REALLY well and put into the deepest part of the freezer but I was suprised it was still so tasty. It was nice because we didn't get any cake beside the cake we fed to each other!

Quote by @%username% on %date%