Help! Pound Cake Is Too Hard On Outside!

Decorating By KittisKakes Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 4:06am by sammie192

KittisKakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 4

I've finished baking for a wedding. The recipe is a pound cake from the grandmother of the bride. I did a test run on a small cake, and she was satisfied how it came out. She likes it because it's real crusty on the outside and soft on the inside. I don't care for pound cake, so I rarely bake it. Well, it seems too hard on the outside. Like, when they go to cut the cake, the knife will crush the side of the cake. Does that make sense?!? Any ideas on how to fix this?

I've never used a recipe that a bride wanted before and I guarantee I won't do it again!! I should have known better than to work with an unfamiliar ecipe!!! icon_mad.gif

Any ideas on how to soften this up without having to bake new cakes? There is not time to bake more. The reception is at 6pm tomorrow night. If I had used my cakes, I'd just about be finished by now!!!!

3 replies
JoAnnB Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 4

It sounds like they were overbaked a bit. Flowernails and/or bake even strips will help prefent that in the future.

For this one, You could use a small amount of simple syrup brushed on the outside. Simple syrup is equal parts of water and sugar, brought to a boil for about 5 minutes then cooled.

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 4

Simple fix is to make a somple syrup - equal parts of water & granulated sugar boiled then cooled.
I bought a spray bottle in the hair dept of Wal-Mart and use that to spray it on.
If that is the way the bride likes her cake then don't worry about it. The icing will soften it a bit.

sammie192 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #4 of 4

spray your cake with the sugar mixer like the other ladies saided ,but i put a slice or two of bread in a plastic bag with the cake close it up and leave it for a little bit. it well soft up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%