How Do I Make Buttons?

Decorating By greyhoundlover Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 1:11am by alanahodgson

greyhoundlover Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 4

Can someone please tell me how I make the cute little buttons that are on baby shower cakes? I have a baby sh ower cake to do within the next month or so and would love to know how to do them.

Thanks so much!

3 replies
alanahodgson Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 4

Watch this video. This is one way you could do them.

Cookies4kids Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 4

I am on dial up so it would take me forever to see the video alana posted. I hope this isn't a repeat but this is how I do it. I cut a round circle of fondant the size that I want the button to be. Then I take a wooden dowel that is 1/8 inch smaller than that circle, and I press it into the cutout circle making the rim of the button. I then make the two button holes with a teeny tiny cocktail straw or the tip of one of my round decorator tips--about a #3 or so. My husband has cut me several dowels in various sizes and sanded the cut ends so they are nice and smooth. I hope this helps. Wish I could see the video as Alana has lots of good tips.

alanahodgson Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #4 of 4

Heh, Heh, thanks Lily. The video is Rebecca Sutterby on her local news chanel. She does a monthly taping with great tips for cake decorating. She uses that silcone plastique to make molds of real objects like a broach, her husbands fist!!! and buttons. Then she uses gumpaste to cast the objects from the molds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%