How High Can I Go??

Decorating By bubba826 Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm by kakeladi

bubba826 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hello All,
I have plenty of time to do this. I definitely need some input as I never stacked a cake before.The cake I want to make has to be the appearance of a column. I have the idea of a 10" round for the base and stacking 6" rounds until I get high enough. I would imagine five or six would be plenty. I say 6 and 10 because this is what I have, I can change however. How do I use plates and dowels to secure something like this I can assemble on site although I don't want to. I am pretty certain this will work. Just really need someone else's input. Also I never did fondant so I'll have to settle for BC.
Thanks in advance,

4 replies
springlakecake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 5

I guess I am not completely clear on your question. Will the cakes be stacked on top of eachother as if they are one cake? Or are you thinking each cake would be separated somehow?

In general, you would need to support the cake every 4 inches of cake with dowels or whatever you are using. That much cake on top of eachother will not hold up. I have done some taller cakes and used a cakeboard and dowels every 4 inches and a dowel down the center.

azeboi2005 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 5

1. ice the base 10" cake with a good crusting butter cream.
2. where you are going to build on with the 6" cakes place supports. my personall preferences are the wilton plastic ones that work with the seperator plate.
3. on a 6" seperator plate start constructing the column. like previously stated every 4" or so place more support columns and seporator plate. keep going until desired height.
4. if you are gonna cap the column with another 10" cake ice that seperatley on a 10" cardboard. place supports and a 6" seperator plate ontop of all the 6" cakes and then place that one on top at the site.

i would have some one ride with the cake to help support the column of 6" cakes.good luck

shisharka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 5

I second the 4" dowels rule. Two 6" rounds on a cake circle, doweled, repeat as needed. Here is the Wilton guide on stacking:

It is also important what kind of filling you'd be using, the stiffer, the better with heights! Buttercream (with actual butter, such as SMBC) would do well, whipped ganache would be even better, just nothing fresh fruity or in other way slippery.

Claim Jumpers has a 6-layer monstrosity of a chocolate cake that looks like a wine barrel and the slice is served on a platter -- it is stacked with no supports as far as I can tell. So all rules are relative icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 5

I agree w/most of the suggestions already posted. My suggestion is to put together the base and the 1st 4" of your 6" cakes; then finish it on site.
Using a 10" for the base is good but I'm very concerned w/transporting such a tall cake even w/a dowel thru the center.

As for Claim Jumper's cake if you look closely I think you will find it is 3/ 2" layers torted into 3 sections each and lots of fill to make up that heigth. So you have 6" plus maybe another 1 1/2-2" of filling & icing. That's what makes it look so tall. The other thing is it does not have to be driven a great distance - probably made on site -and it's not as thin - as I remember it's a 10" or 12" round.
The smaller the round (6" vs 10") the more problems w/transporting it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%