Buttercream Flower Shelf Life

Decorating By carolbby Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 12:13am by kakeladi

carolbby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolbby Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to make some buttercream flowers in advance to have ready when needed like I do with fondant. Does anyone know how long these will keep...if I freeze them? Or maybe I shouldn't freeze them?
Thanks everyone!

6 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 7

You can freeze them. But after awhile they will start to taste a little funky.

If you really want to save flowers I would do royal icing. You can keep those babies forever.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 7

I have some buttercream roses I made a couple of years ago. They still look fine, are hard as rocks, and I sure wouldn't recommend trying to eat them for that reason.

They were stored (after they had dried) just in a plastic storage box.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 7

I use BC for everything. Air dry the flowers and they last forever. I make BC flowers a couple of weeks ahead of time and they last great. Since my BC dries so well, I never see a need to ever use RI for anything.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

hmmm...that's interesting. I never would have thought to air dry bc for that long. Do they get really hard like royal icing then? learn something new everyday!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:02am
post #6 of 7

If I make my BC roses in the morning, then by late afternoon, you can throw one to me so I can put it on the cake. They usually air dry well enough to be handled in 3-4 hours ... sometimes less, if I have to (I just thicken the icing a bit).

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:13am
post #7 of 7

I have posted a Buttercream icing for air-drying flowers.
It basically is royal icing w/1/2 Cup Crisco added.
It is suggested they be kept for no longer than 6 months. After that they begin to taste dusty.
You will see in the recipe the flowers are not to be frozen or stored in the frig. Allow them to air dry, uncovered, in a cool, dry, dark place for 24-36 hours. Store in a cardboard type box - again in a cool, dry, dark place (a high shelf of your cupboard is fine).
Depending on the recipe used as some have already indicated a good b'c recipe will dry enough to be handled for placement on a cake.
Frozen ones start to melt just from the heat of your fingers so you have to work FAST!! and if you make a placement mistake it's all overicon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%