Need To Boo Hoo A Little

Business By karateka Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 2:57am by step0nmi

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 11

I just threw my cake in the garbage. It developed a crack around half of the cakes circumference, about 1 1/2 inches in from the edge. It sank down and just would not be repaired. So now after 6 hours spent on this, from baking to tossing, I have to start all over. So I guess if I work straight through I have a shot at being done before midnight. And I have a bridal tasting tomorrow, too. (The groom is a chef, so NO PRESSURE THERE!) I just want to shoot myself between the eyes and end it all!!! I only charged $65 for this blinking cake, so without ingredients (which are now doubled) I'm going to be making less than $6/hour, IF I get completely finished before 9:30pm.

The eggs I use are over $3/dozen, and this has 8 egg yolks in it. I just want to cry... icon_cry.gif

10 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 11

Oh no! Take a deep breath, a short break, and hang in there. Some cakes are just frustrating from the start. You'll get it done though. I bet your 2nd batch will turn out just fine. icon_smile.gif

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 11

Oooh, I hate it when you have to start all over! ((hugs)) to you. Good luck on round 2!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 11

Hey, remember "Fall down 7 times....get up 8" icon_wink.gif

I'm sure everything will work out!!! heck, this may end up being one of your best!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 11

I hate if for you. We all have a bad day here and there. Remember to keep your confidence high and that chef will never even know it was your 2nd. good luck.

heycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heycupcake Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 11

Im soooo sorry! I hate that!

You know, I have seen your cakes---and theyre AWESOME! so...Im sure youll kick this one out and itll be awesome as well! youre very talented! Take a deep breath ---and kick some cake booty!

thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 11

{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} icon_sad.gif I hate it too when we need to start over!

Did your cake bake thoroughly? It sounds like it settled which made the crack? Do you think you have enough time to put your cake in the freezer for a half an hour? That might help your cake settle and pull together better. This will also give you a break or give you the chance to do some other things! Just some suggestions!
I hope round 2 goes better! Chin up! thumbs_up.gif

karateka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks, everyone-

Yes, the cake was baked thoroughly. I tried the fridge for a while (freezer is packed) but no help.

At least I have the second one baked, filled, and crumb coated now. I'm trying to get other stuff done like the stand up crown before I ice it, so it has a little time to settle. But I don't have too much time.....I have to clean up the kitchen and dining room for the tasting tomorrow. I'm especially worried about the kitchen since the groom is a chef and I know he'll be giving it the once over. Not that it isn't ordinarily clean for a tasting or any baking.....but a chef will probably be more critical than your ordinary folk. And I REALLY want this booking. It's nothing exciting, but I really need a wedding booking. It's been along time and you know if your website doesn't have much in the way of wedding cakes, brides are less likely to book you. But I digress......it all comes down to time at this point. Grrr....

At least my DD and DS are home and willing to help mom out of the time crunch hole she finds herself in!! DD cleaned my fridge and kitchen cabinets/appliances, and DS vacuumed the stairs and the dining room for me. So once I'm done messing it up, the 3 of us can possibly get it presentable!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Thanks, everyone-

Yes, the cake was baked thoroughly. I tried the fridge for a while (freezer is packed) but no help.

At least I have the second one baked, filled, and crumb coated now. I'm trying to get other stuff done like the stand up crown before I ice it, so it has a little time to settle. But I don't have too much time.....I have to clean up the kitchen and dining room for the tasting tomorrow. I'm especially worried about the kitchen since the groom is a chef and I know he'll be giving it the once over. Not that it isn't ordinarily clean for a tasting or any baking.....but a chef will probably be more critical than your ordinary folk. And I REALLY want this booking. It's nothing exciting, but I really need a wedding booking. It's been along time and you know if your website doesn't have much in the way of wedding cakes, brides are less likely to book you. But I digress......it all comes down to time at this point. Grrr....

At least my DD and DS are home and willing to help mom out of the time crunch hole she finds herself in!! DD cleaned my fridge and kitchen cabinets/appliances, and DS vacuumed the stairs and the dining room for me. So once I'm done messing it up, the 3 of us can possibly get it presentable!

I know it's a lot of pressure when you're faced with a Chef as a client. But I've had about 3 come through and all of them have been super nice. Being a foodie....they understand. Take a deep breath!!! Big hugs and hoping your second cake turns out fantastic! I know it will because your skills are great!!!!

karateka Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #10 of 11

Well, I finally got it done. And I'm mostly cleaned up, too! And before 9:30. Phew!

I tried to upload pics of it, several times, but it won't take....don't know why. I'll try again later, I can't afford the aggravation now.

I just wanted to check in and thank all of you for the support! It's nice to know there are others out there who understand. Now I have to go referee another fight between my kids.....

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:57am
post #11 of 11

awww....so glad that everything worked out. Now, get some rest! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%