Non Dairy Whipped Topping

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm by thecakemaker

thecakemaker Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 3

For those of you that use Instant Whip nondairy whipped topping or Rich's Bettercream - I know you can add color to it but can you airbrush over it, apply fondant pieces onto it or use it as a base for fondant? It doesn't crust correct? So i'm guessing that you couldn't stencil or emboss it?

2 replies
cakesbyjess Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 3

I use the InstantWhip B/C topping, but I've never tried airbrushing on it. I don't think fondant would work on it because it's water-based (not oil-based, like buttercream), so it would make the fondant sticky and/or melt. I also think it's too light and not stable enough to hold heavy fondant over it. I've never tried it, though. Please let us know what happens if you do try it. icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Jess! Friday evening (it's now Sunday) I used a piece of scrap cake and covered with Bettercream the with Fondx. It's been sitting on my kitchen counter since and still looks fine. Saturday I filled and covered an actual cake in Bettercream (thin layer) then with fondx and it is now in the fridge. It looks great so far. I'll get it out later to work with it some more and see how it holds up then. I wasn't able to get Instant Whip to play with though. . .

Quote by @%username% on %date%