Storage, Etc Question...need Help

Decorating By kimpa Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm by kimpa

kimpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimpa Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 3

I plan on making my cakes on Sunday and then freezing them until Wed. On Wed. I'll take them out of the freezer and crumbcoat and fill them. I'll wrap them and put in the refrig until Friday when I plan on decorating them. I am making a carousel cake with the wilton horse separator. It is two tiers, one 12 one 8.

My questions are should I wait until Sat morning to put the cake totally together? Meaning put the separator on top of the bottom piece. Both Cakes with be decorated on Friday. Then on Sat just put the top one on the bottome one? I hope I am making sense. And after I decorate the cake on Friday cake I put it in the refrig? It is mostly buttercream with some fondant accents on the cake.

Thanks for you help
Kim

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 3

<...Wed. I'll take them out of the freezer and crumbcoat and fill them. I'll wrap them and put in the refrig until Friday...>

Once a cake is crumbcoated it does not need any wrapping, except to maybe put it into a cake box so nothing is dropped on it.

<...should I wait until Sat morning to put the cake totally together....>

It doesn't make any difference if you put it all together on Fri or Sat unless it needs to be transported to another location.

<...after I decorate the cake on Friday cake I put it in the refrig...>
No need - it will keep just fine on a counter topicon_smile.gif

kimpa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimpa Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 3

That helps. I didn't realize that I could just keep the cake on the countertop over night. Won't the icing get "crusty". Then again I guess it would anyway in the refrig.
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%