Which Attachments To Use When Mixing Bc Or Cake Mixes

Decorating By Cookies4kids Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm by jenlg

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 12

I have spent the last year perfecting ( well hopefully so) cookies and now I want to learn more about cakes. I never know which attachment--paddle or whisk--to use when doing frosting or cake mixes, but especially the cakes. There are all these great recipes on here, and I understand that some of the problems that arise are because of over or under mixing. Could you share the procedure you use for your successful outcomes? I just did Toba Garrett's chocolate cake that everyone raves about and it was a total disaster. I weighed and measured and followed directions to a T and it sank in the middle and the texture was really airy and it just fell apart. The top was kind of crusty and it seperated from the rest of the cake. What in the world am I doing wrong!!!!!
Thanks for your help.
Lily

11 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 12

Generally for cake mixes or regular icing recipes, you use the beater attachment.

There are recipes like the European buttercreams (Swiss, Italian, French) etc. where the directions expressly state to use the whisk attachment for particular parts of the recipe and then you do end up switching to the paddle in the end.

You can also use the dough hook to make/color fondant, although I have not done that personally.

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 12

I don't know the answer, but this is something I have been trying to figure out also. So, I can't help, but I feel your pain!! icon_lol.gif

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 12

I think my Kitchen Aid book had something in it to say when to use the whisk and when to use the paddle.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 12

You use your paddle attachment for cakes and buttercream. When I use my KA, I never set it higher than the second setting. The third overmixes it and I get lots of air bubbles. I generally mix until it looks well mixed and let it go a few seconds longer.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 12

I always use the paddle when making BC. And the whisk when making cake batter. Also when I bake cakes I lower my oven to 325F.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 12

I use the beater (or paddle) for everything. I use the whisk only when making merinque for my Baked Alaska.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:15am
post #8 of 12

Me too. I use the paddle for cake mixes and buttercream.

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #9 of 12

Thank you all for your help. I think I was probably overmixing my cake batters. The one for Toba Garrett said to beat on the high setting for several minutes and it was just like stiff meringue.
Thanks again
Lily

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #10 of 12

I always use the whisk for BC-to make it light and fluffy-
Cake mixes I use the paddle-

any kitchenaid experts out there?!

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 12

well, I found my KA instruction booklet, and it seems I've been using the wrong attachment to make my frostings! icon_redface.gif Whisk (wire whip) is for egg whites, heavy cream, boiled frostings, angel and sponge cake.
The paddle (flat beater) is for cakes, creamed frostings, pie pastry etc.

I hope to see a big improvement in my frostings now!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #12 of 12

I use my paddle attachment for the cake mix and icing. I use the dough hook for my fondant...works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%