A Cake That Looks Like A Hair Straightener! Help Please!!

Decorating By marymary84 Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 1:01am by Doug

marymary84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marymary84 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, so this might sound weird, but for my best friend's birthday I am making her a cake that looks like her CHI hair straightener. (She is obsessed with the thing.)

Anyway, can anyone give me advice on how I can do this, such as,

1) what sort of cake recipe so that I can easily cut out the shapes without the cake crumbling

2) easiest way to achieve black icing

3) Any other ideas on how to construct this! I thought of black rope licorice for the cord...lol

Thanks everyone!

3 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome! I can just help you with #2: the usual trick is to make chocolate icing, and then add a little gel/paste black coloring. It usually gets darker if you let it sit overnight.

Sounds like fun... icon_smile.gif

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:22am
post #3 of 4

I can help with #3. You can make the cord and plug out of fondant. It's very easy to work with and you can shape it easily.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #4 of 4

this may help....

two options...

#1 ---

black lines = strong plywood bases on bottom and under raised and tilted top layer

blue wedge -- a solid block of wood cut at angle on two sides to hold the bases together and apart -- screw up through bottom base in to block, screw down through top base into block.

bases and block as wide as you want the cake to be -- 4 to 6 inches would probably work.

yellow = cake --- one layer on bottom base and one layer on top.

--------

#2...

here the straightener is on it's side so its really just two very long stacked tiers of cake.

the tiers would be 2 or 4 inches wide or so.

as long as you need to make it proportional

and as tall as you need to make it proportional to the width

easiest way to get strips -- bake a sheet cake and cut into 4 strips and stack 2 for each side at least and maybe more depending upon how big it needs to be.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%