Edible Image On Whipped Frosting

Decorating By cakemommy Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm by cakemommy

cakemommy Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 5

I just recieved a huge multi cake order. I have been waiting on this order for a year and finally the time has come! YIPPEE!!!

Anyway, I have had the request of putting "whipped frosting" on the cakes. I also have to put an edible image on the cake. How well does an edible image hold up on a "whipped frosting"? Exactly what is the difference between a "whipped frosting" and a buttercream?

I certainly hope that the association that is requesting the "whipped frosting" isn't thinking it's like the icing that's found on grocery store bakery cakes. I don't know how they make that.

I found a popular whipped frosting recipe here but it says it doesn't crust. Is that going to be a problem? Also can this frosting be used as a filling as well?

Thank you so much!

4 replies
ccr03 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 5

I only use Rich's Bettercreme (I'm starting to do more fondant).

But yes, Rich's is what is used at grocery stores and what they consider whipped frosting. I don't make it. I buy a 15lb. bucket from Sam's club for about $17-18.

Rich's does not crust. It's best used at the recommended temperature. If it sits outs, it'll dry out and be a b*&ch to get smooth. Also since it won't crust, the Viva and Melvira smoothing methods won't work. Bascially it's all old school and using the spatula.

I've done some Hannah Montana edible images and they hold up perfectly. The only problems I've ever had with the whipped frosting and edible images are the ones I cause icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 5

Rich's hmmm! Not sure if I can find it in my neck of the woods. I'll email them back just to make sure of the specific texture they are looking for.

The only problems are the ones you cause!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Sounds like me! You're funny! Thank you for the tips. I'm really nervous about these cakes so I need to make sure I get everything they want right!!!!

Thank you!

ccr03 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 5

Suuuure!! My pleasure. I mean that's what we're here for, right? icon_wink.gif

Oh, and I haven't used it or anything, but I've heard Pastry Pride is about the same thing as Rich's.

cakemommy Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 5

I have heard of Pastry Pride. Unfortunately my supply shop doesn't have refrigerated goods. Phooey!!!

Well, I emailed my contact for the cakes and asked whether it was the taste or texture of the frosting the association wanted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%