Tutorial Wanted - Cupcake Cake (Pull-A-Part Cake)

Decorating By AJsGirl Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm by sugarhigh384

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 29

Someone should write a How-To article or a Tutorial about how to do a Cupcake Cake (or Pull-A-Part cake). I've seen some really great ones on here, and I want to try one sometime, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Anyone want to volunteer? icon_lol.gif Please?

Just a thought. icon_cool.gif

28 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 29

I've made one! I thought there was a tutorial on here, but maybe not, since I can't find it! It was pretty easy - you just put the cupcakes on a board - in whatever shape you wish. Have them as close as possible. Then using the icer tip, put a layer of icing on top. Smooth w/ VIVA like w/ any crusting BC. I put a FBCT on top of mine (shark cake). you can do it! icon_smile.gif

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 29

I use the square cupcake pan to make the cupcake fit better together. Plus I find that you don't get a ton of icing between the gaps of cupcakes. I just ice them like a cake. Just more carefully because they do slide around.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 29

Make sure you put a dab of icing on the bottom of each cupcake to keep it in place (they won't slide around that way) then follow beachcakes' instructions. They are really easy!

AJsGirl Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 29

The icing dab to keep them from sliding is a good idea... but I always wondered how the icing doesn't fall in between the cupcakes? Also, I've seen some cupcake cakes where *each* cupcake was decorated individually, but when you put them together, they made a picture. I'm not even close to that talented! I guess you have to be able to put it all together in your mind...

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 29

If you stagger the cupcakes (or even don't but get them really close), the icing doesn't fall through. Well, if you thinned it way down, it would but if it is the regular consistency you use to ice regular cakes with, it works! People love CCCs (cupcake cakes) - they disappear quickly!

Wow - I've never seen a cake with the cupcakes decorated individually. I don' t think I'd be capable of that w/out a picture to start from. icon_smile.gif Do you have a link to any of them? I'd love to see them.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

Someone should write a How-To article or a Tutorial about how to do a Cupcake Cake (or Pull-A-Part cake). I've seen some really great ones on here, and I want to try one sometime, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Well I have a picture of how I do them..... use shaped pans.. any shape and.... well, here it is......
LL
LL

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:

Here's the other one..
LL

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 29

Let cool completely in pan..... turn it out carefully, then flip it right side up... they pull apart easily and very easy to decorate......

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 29

That is so cool CakesByLJ! Thanks for sharing.

CakesByLJ Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

That is so cool CakesByLJ! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, but let me say that I did not create this method.. I learned it from another decorator many years ago.. But it sure have used it a lot.. thumbs_up.gif

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 29

That's a neat idea for specific shapes. I've done a few of them, putting a dab of icing on the bottoms is a must! I've done a couple small one's when I was messing around and practicing and I've done several for customers. The most favorite for mine right now is the Tonka Truck, seems to be the theme for little boys turning 2. To get around the copyright, I have a set I get from Walmart made for very small children 3+ that I put on top. For the smaller pieces like the cones I give those to the parents and then make them out of fondant. We all know how little ones like to put things in their mouths! I make pebbles, rocks out of fondant. I take a large spatula and smooth the icing over the top like I would a regular cake and smooth with Viva. I believe I have a pic under my pics posted. The parents love the idea, no forks to deal with just peel the wrapper and eat, perfect for little ones!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:15pm
post #13 of 29

wow thats brilliant! ive wanted to try a ccc but was a little nervous... scared no more, im trying that next week! thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:16pm
post #14 of 29

My cousing got really creative...here is another idea. She took a cupcake pan and placed it inside of a 9x13 pan. Then she filled the cupcakes up and over filled them a bit so they ran over a little to connect. That way the top looked like a normal cake...we should invent a pan that does this and patent it! It would make some good money LOL!

AJsGirl Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 29

I, for one, like a stiffer consistency to cover cakes in anyway, it was always easier for me to smooth than the thin icings. So I guess you're right about it not falling through.

Awesome idea, cakesbylj. That will probably be where I start.

Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:28pm
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:

Here's the other one..

OMG! Thank you sooo much for posting that! THANK YOU! This may solve all my cupcake cake problems! Mine are so messy looking I dont even put them on CC!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:35pm
post #17 of 29

Great information ladies, I have to give this a try now!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #18 of 29

Oh yes - I forgot about the dab of icing underneath to keep them in place! "oops:

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:51am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdica

I use the square cupcake pan to make the cupcake fit better together. Plus I find that you don't get a ton of icing between the gaps of cupcakes. I just ice them like a cake. Just more carefully because they do slide around.

Erdica,

What's a square cupcake pan? Are you referring to the individual cake pans that are all in one pan (not sure that's what there called).

Thanks!

xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:55am
post #20 of 29

Sorry forgot to ask you all:

When making a CCC do you make flat top or domed cupcakes? How much batter do you use? What consistency do you use for the icing (i saw a reply stating regular is this thin, med or stiff)? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:16am
post #21 of 29
xstitcher Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:27am
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

I found this awhile back, it might help:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1192813746051689275ZzeIFp

Thanks linedancer!

This did help! Hopefully I'll be able to go from there.....

Cheers!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:16am
post #23 of 29

I have to make a cc cake next week...if I remember, I'll try to document it and mak a tutorial to submit! It's going to be another spongebob cc cake like the one in my gallery.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:16am
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdica

Erdica,

What's a square cupcake pan? Are you referring to the individual cake pans that are all in one pan (not sure that's what there called).

Thanks!

Here's where I got mine from. It's heavier and is labeled as a muffin pan. But it works just the same. You can use regular cupcake liners. They fit right in.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/landing.jsp?go=DetailDefault&id=5362

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:34am
post #25 of 29

I love this thread Thank You to everyone I away wondered how this was done

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 11:35am
post #26 of 29

I did a search of the forums and came up with a lot of post about cupcake cakes and links to tutorials.

Here is one of my favorite links b/c she has a lot of information about cupcakes and the cupcake cakes.

http://community.webshots.com/album/105830324epGFhn

xstitcher Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:59am
post #27 of 29

Here's where I got mine from. It's heavier and is labeled as a muffin pan. But it works just the same. You can use regular cupcake liners. They fit right in.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/landing.jsp?go=DetailDefault&id=5362[/quote]

Hi Erica,

Thanks for the link! That's a great idea. I checked them out but there currently out of stock. Hopefully they'll ship to Canada when they get them back in!

Cheers!

Guera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Guera Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:54am
post #28 of 29

You don't have to put the icing dab under each cupcake, just under the ones at the edge of the cake. If youo worry about getting icing between cupcakes, you can put teh first row very close and for teh second row put the first cupcake between the first two and the second between the 2 and 3, so it would see like grapes. I don't know if I explained myself, my english is not very good.

Some times I don't want to worry about smoothing the icing and i just fill with a star tip. You can see the one I have with a butterfly in my cake gallery here.

sugarhigh384 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarhigh384 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #29 of 29

Hey guys, I just saw the wilton kit at Michaels for cupcake cakes they are calling it a puzzle cake kit but it is basically the same thing. Hope this info helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%