How Do You Feel About...copying Cakes?

Decorating By AJsGirl Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 6:43am by tonedna

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:30pm
post #61 of 91

To everyone on this post:

I want to apologize to all of you for me getting crappy on what was supposed to be a fun post.
I apologize to all of you and to Milissasmom.

I am having a really bad morning and I took it out on Milissasmom. I took it all wrong.

Please forgive me.

Thank you
Lu

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:35pm
post #62 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9129

To everyone on this post:

I want to apologize to all of you for me getting crappy on what was supposed to be a fun post.
I apologize to all of you and to Milissasmom.

I am having a really bad morning and I took it out on Milissasmom. I took it all wrong.

Please forgive me.

Thank you
Lu

As we discussed in your wonderful PM, I totally understand and hope you have a wonderful day! HUGS...XOXO

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #63 of 91

awww...We love a good ending!..icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #64 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

YAY!!! party.gif

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:45pm
post #65 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Well, on a forum with this many wonderful ladies, someone is bound to have PMS at any given time...

It seems to me that everyone is being very nice in this thread (you want a nasty one, go look at the Loophole post in the cake decorating business section)

As far as copying goes, I don't do it. I will learn how to do something that other people have done...the fondant bow, making pearls, something like that...and I will use it, but I don't look at someone's cake and try to recreate it exactly. Mostly it's because I have so many more ideas than I have reasons to bake a cake, so I want to try my own ideas.

But...if anyone ever wanted to copy something of mine, I'd be delighted. There's an art website that I post my cakes on too, and I've had people there ask me for detailed instructions on how to do something I've done. It's always fun to imagine someone using one of my ideas.

OOOOOOHHHHH!!! Is there some trash talking going on in that thread??? icon_lol.gif I was thinking about reading it, I think I will now!! Gotta get my dayly gossip fill! Just teasing of course icon_biggrin.gif I'm so happy we have all kissed and made up! I know I have had my share of times biting the bullet and admitting to being too sensitive! We all have wonderful times like that!

on the flip side....WILL SOMEONE COPY ONE OF MY CAKES.....PLEASE?????? icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:35pm
post #66 of 91

I have considered CC a place for inspiration. I get ideas from a number of different cakes and pull something together from that. I don't necessarily remember whose cake gave me the idea orginally.

At the same time, I don't expect anyone to ask if they can copy a design of mine - trust me, I am not there yet either as far as skill level goes, but even if I was ... I would have posted it on the internet for all to see. I don't feel anyone has to ask my "permission" to copy it. If I felt that protective about my design, I wouldn't post it.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:51pm
post #67 of 91

I don't think anyone needs to ask my permission at all.

However, it is certainly a nice gesture to let someone know you copied their work and show them and/or thank them (as I did with my Suzy Skull-la-licious cake here - http://marah_johnson.typepad.com/random/2007/09/suzy-skull-la-l.html ).

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm
post #68 of 91

All of learning is based on......

copying
imitating

"copy these sentence diagrams...." (FUN!!!)

"copy these math problems...." (drudgery!)

"copy what I do to shoot a free throw....) (all of learning sports works by imitation)

learn to paint/draw...etc by copying the masters (long established technique)

"do as I do...."

so----

copy on! --- it's called learning.

(and boy do I wish i could visit lots of all ya all to do my coping live and in person!)

and yes...

thank you /tip o' the hat is always the polite thing to do.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #69 of 91

Oh they locked the "Loophole" Thread, that started out kind of...interesting icon_smile.gif I think Brandi'sBaked has something in her Renaissance Wedding cake she was working on in the picture that i will copy-THE big bottle of vodka icon_smile.gif LOL! My husband wonders why/how we go through so much, I blame it on the cakes!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:41pm
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

YAY!!! party.gif

Double yay! Lets all get our jammies on and have some hot cocoa (mine's got bailey's in it...how bout yours?)

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm
post #71 of 91

I agree. THere is no higher compliment on here when you not only get it as a favorite but you get asked over and over for directions on a design. I just love that. THat's when I really know I did a good cake!

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #72 of 91

I'm just a hobbyist too so IF someone likes my cakes enough to "copy" I would get "tickled" about it! LOL (I get "inspired" by others cakes so I guess I'm a "copier")

HOWEVER if I were more than a hobbyist and were actually selling my cakes then I may not be so "tickledâ to have my cakes copied BUT then again if I were a CONFIDENT cake seller I shouldn't really be too concerned, right? I mean no two people can make a cake the exact same I don't think so if I'm selling my designs then I should be confident that no one could compare to me...does that make sense? LOL

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #73 of 91

I am so glad that you all agree that it is a compliment. I really have problems thinking of designs. I don't have a good imagination LOL. I have only copied one cake from CC and I felt guilty about it. I did post it but I made sure I gave credit to the one that inspired me. There are so many beautiful cakes on this site. It would be hard not to try and copy some of them.

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:09pm
post #74 of 91

I only wish I could be so good someone would want to copy my cakes, I hope I get there some day. Over the last 3 weeks I've been posting questions and pm to people regarding Gerbera Daisies I've seen on cakes on this site and I've either received some wonderful, detailed advise or others don't respond at all. Those who share they're knowledge are greatly appreciated and admired by beginners like me thumbs_up.gif and I intend to 'pay it forward' some day, those that don't . . . . well thank God for those that do.

When I do my Gerbera Cake in June and post the pic here, I do plan to thank and give credit to those who help me because if they had not, there would be no picture to post to begin with.

B2B

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:17pm
post #75 of 91

born2bake, we will look forward to seeing it.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:14am
post #76 of 91

I have had to do one exact replica cake and I hope I never have to do one again!! It was so hard. Her cake was perfect! (If you want to know which one I had to "copy" it is the gorgeous tiffany color bow cake in the tutorial!!! but I made it in pink!) I was so afraid of letting my client down!

I won't even copy one of my own cakes exactly because I want each cake to be unique.... I get better each time (I hope)..... and I CAN'T DO IT!! icon_lol.gif I just finished a cake for a favorite client who wanted my pinks and brown but with pinks and lime. I swapped the layers and changed the board style. I knew if I didn't change it up then I would get stale! icon_lol.gif

That being said I copy a lot of ideas to incorporate in my cakes.... I will save a cake like this.... client's name_CC member name (or website)_original file name. so Superstars chick cake would look like this.... Beth_Superstar_normal_000_0321.jpg

This way when I upload a photo I can quickly find all the cakes I looked to for inspiration and jot down the ones i used! (bonus is that it makes it easy to keep photos organized for a particular client!)

PHEW-- Long post sorry!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:24am
post #77 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

I won't even copy one of my own cakes exactly because I want each cake to be unique....

Oh that is funny because I am just the opposite! I am so complimented when I get multiple brides who want a particular cake I've done. It tells me that I did at least ONE of them right! icon_lol.gif I guess they all DO turn out different, though, since each bride has different flowers/colors, but I still consider it the same cake.

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:37am
post #78 of 91
Quote:

That being said I copy a lot of ideas to incorporate in my cakes.... I will save a cake like this.... client's name_CC member name (or website)_original file name. so Superstars chick cake would look like this.... Beth_Superstar_normal_000_0321.jpg

This way when I upload a photo I can quickly find all the cakes I looked to for inspiration and jot down the ones i used! (bonus is that it makes it easy to keep photos organized for a particular client!)

I've started doing this too (renaming the pic by name of creator) if I save as pic to my desktop.....helps me to reference creator/inspiration easier & more accurately.

Happybug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happybug98 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:41am
post #79 of 91

I think it would be a compliment.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #80 of 91

marthajo & misha, you two are so organized, can you come & organize me too? I have never been able to exactly duplicate anything, each one has a little mind of it's own & takes me down a new road every time. LOL

marthajo1 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:08am
post #81 of 91
Quote:

Quote:

I won't even copy one of my own cakes exactly because I want each cake to be unique....

Oh that is funny because I am just the opposite! I am so complimented when I get multiple brides who want a particular cake I've done. It tells me that I did at least ONE of them right! icon_lol.gif I guess they all DO turn out different, though, since each bride has different flowers/colors, but I still consider it the same cake.

icon_lol.gif I guess it is more my portfolio... right now every cake goes in there! I don't want a bunch that are the same. I guess the way I put it it actually sounded kinda negative. It is truly more fear than anything else.... probably! icon_lol.gif You know... "what if I can't do it EXACTLY the same....?"

marthajo1 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:24am
post #82 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

marthajo & misha, you two are so organized, can you come & organize me too? I have never been able to exactly duplicate anything, each one has a little mind of it's own & takes me down a new road every time. LOL

Yeah that is the only area of my life that is organized! Well that and my..... oh wait nope that is it! And that is only because not only do I want to make sure nobody feels slighted but I love it when someone thanks me for an idea so I want to do the same for others!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:15am
post #83 of 91
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_lol.gif I guess it is more my portfolio... right now every cake goes in there! I don't want a bunch that are the same. I guess the way I put it it actually sounded kinda negative. It is truly more fear than anything else.... probably! icon_lol.gif You know... "what if I can't do it EXACTLY the same....?"

When I design a cake..first time I do it and someone wants to repeat it is a complement icon_smile.gif ..Then repeat again..I am bored icon_redface.gif...Then repeat again...I am annoyed icon_cry.gif ...Then with the repeats is like pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee, leave it alone!
icon_lol.gif ..Unless it is a real easy cake, then i love it! .. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

stellastarchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellastarchild Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:45am
post #84 of 91

And... stellastarchild ... are those the baby converses you're talking about? If so, those are so completely adorable I can hardly stand it. You have a template?? You're willing to share?? If so, I'd love to have it. Then all I have to do is wait around for someone to have a boy!! He He

Yes, the template, pictures and a written instruction can be found in my gallery! If something is unclear, don´t hesitate to ask for help.
(I made them for a girl... icon_wink.gif)

stellastarchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellastarchild Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:49am
post #85 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

Stellastarchild....your template is AWESOME! The baby shower cake posted this week turned out great because of those little shoes! I never could have made them without your picture and template. That cake is close to having more favorites than any other cake I've made! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1207074

I would LOVE it if anyone would copy a cake of mine! Besides, how can any design be totally one persons??? I mean, can you 100% guarantee there has never been a cake like it?

Thank you so much!!!Your cake is lovely, no wounder it´s in many peoples fav´s!
Im so happy when the template comes to use!

/Anna

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 9:18am
post #86 of 91

You all are fantastic! I love coming to CC and looking for advice and ideas. Their are so many talented folks here and their all willing to share which is what makes CC.

I am not very artistic and have little too no imagination. I love art but am just not good at it (I still draw stick people LOL). THe reason my id says xstitcher is that is what I started doing about 10 years ago so that I felt that I was creating something even though it was a copy from a chart.

I'm so happy to know that you all are so willing to help.

I still remember just signing up for CC and checking out some of the pics in the gallery. I remember commenting on some of the cakes and in one of them (I think it was Melvira's cake) I made a comment and she PM'd me on how she did the cake. You would not believe how happy I was to receive her email (I'm getting warm fuzzies again thinking about it). I never asked her to email me but it was just great that she took the initiative and emailed me letting me know how she had done her cake.

I can't wait until the day that I am good enough to even attempt to copy anyone of your designs. They all rock!!!!!

You guys are great! I love you all!

Thanks again everyone!

Parm

P.S. It's getting really late so if this post doesn't make sense I apologize right now for it.

P.S.S. I love all of your senses of humour. You guys are constantly cracking me up! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:54am
post #87 of 91

I just checked my PM's and it was Trixyinaz that had PM'ed me after I had left a comment for one her cakes! That was just about a week after finding & signing up for CC. I just wanted to give her her due (not that Melvira has not been extremely helpful on CC - I'm going out to buy the foam roller to try out her method!!)

Thanks again to all!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #88 of 91

The only thing thing I think all of would ask and hope for is for someone to put it on their website claiming it is theirs.

my sentiment exactly! icon_wink.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #89 of 91
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When I design a cake..first time I do it and someone wants to repeat it is a complement icon_smile.gif ..Then repeat again..I am bored icon_redface.gif...Then repeat again...I am annoyed icon_cry.gif ...Then with the repeats is like pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee, leave it alone!
icon_lol.gif ..Unless it is a real easy cake, then i love it! .. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

MEEE TOOO EDNA. Not that stacked present cakes are "my design"...but sometimes I think, IF I HAVE TO DO ONE MORE SPOTS STRIPES AND BOWS CAKE....ho hum.

Please copy copy copy. The only offense I EVER had to this was when I had someone pm me for instructions on the tiffany engagement ring cake, which I copied as a client emailed me the link to the cakegirls website. But still in all, I had to ponder and work out how I was going to execute it. Anywho, I pm'd the instructions, and gave advice a few times to this person and when she finally posted the pic, I didn't get the tiniest of thanks, and then she went on to tell everyone she'd pm the instructions to them. I NEVER MIND EVER HELPING ANYONE, that's me and helping others is what I love to do most, but give credit where it's due.

And I agree, if you don't want your design copied, probably best not to put it here. Also, for the most part anyway, the chances of the person copying your cake being in real close proximity to you is probably slim. And even cakes I do copy always have "my look" to them.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #90 of 91

I have no problem with anybody copying designs that I post on CC or on my website. However, that said... I have had people come into my store and ask to take pictures of pictures in my portfolio or pictures of cakes on display to the point I have a sign now requesting no photography in the store, including camera phones. If I put something in the public domain, go for it, but to come in and do that to shop the cake around to someone else, no thanks!
Just my opinion, there are no truely original ideas anymore anyway!!
icon_lol.gif Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%