A Good Non-Crusting Frosting Recipe?

Decorating By MrsMom Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 12:16am by alanahodgson

MrsMom Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 6

I usually use a crusting buttercream but I think I want to try something different this time. Something that doesn't crust. I know my mom makes a frosting with marshmallow creme but I haven't had it in a long time. Not sure how she makes it.

Anyone have something good they want to share?

5 replies
jessienj Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried IMBC or SMBC? They are both non-crusting. The key is to use plenty of flavoring. Most recipes I have seen only call for 1 tbsp or 2 of vanilla, but I use 1/4 cup. Makes it taste like ice cream. There are recipes on CC.

Amy729 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 6

I would suggest the WBH Buttercream recipe. I would also suggest using high ratio shortening so it doesn't leave a greasy feel in your mouth.

I don't have the recipe w/me right now but you can search WBH Buttercream and it is posted in a forum.

jessienj Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 6

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. That one is very good too!!! I think I stopped using it because it was too soft to use under fondant for me. It just seems to squoosh down from the weight of the fondant.

allie73 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 6

I use the WBH IMBC recipe and I love it. It is easy to make, in fact, I used it last night. I had enough to ring, crumb and ice 10", 8", and 6" layers.

alanahodgson Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:16am
post #6 of 6

I use this one all the time under fondant because it's not super sweet. Its also terrific for under fondant because if you chill it it gets super firm (from the butter) so it keeps its shape under fondant. By the time it's softened the fondant has firmed enough to keep it's shape. Its also really delicious. People really like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%