Cookie Newb Here... Couple ??'s About Icing

Baking By butterflywings Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm by matwogirls

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:25am
post #1 of 8

I mostly make cakes. And I'm making 4 teapot cakes next week to be used as centerpieces at a ladies tea at my church. They've asked if I might be able to make cookies to go along with them, and I do have a cute teapot cutter.

I made a batch of NFSC (using 1/2 vanilla, 1/2 almond extract) and they came out PERFECT! My problem is, I have no idea how to ice them. I have very limited experience w/RI (usually just when making gingerbread houses at christmas). Also, does anyone know if I can add a little cocoa to the NFSC recipe to make chocolate sugar cookies (I tried the rolled chocolate recipe on here and did not like it).

I thought I might use the same colored fondant I use on the cakes and the teapot cutter and just cut out teapots to put on the cookies and then outline them in RI. My question is this... do I need to use a thin amount of BC on the cookie first so that the satin ice will adhere OR could I cut the fondant and have it ready and put it on the cookies when they are still warm (not hot). Since I've not iced cookies before, I wasn't sure. I want them to taste really yummy, look professional and be stackable.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

7 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #2 of 8

Decorating cookies is my new passion. I use MMF to "ice" with all the time. Some folks on CC like to put the fondant on just out of the oven, as you were saying. I like to bake one day and decorate another, I use thinned karo to brush on the cookie so the fondant will adhere. I thin the karo quite a bit, so it kind of soaks into the cookie, but still adheres well. Doesn't seem to change the cookie at all. Hope this helps.

Your idea sound really cute. Please post some pics.

t00precious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t00precious Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 8

I am not good at royal icing. I just can't seem to get it right. I love the taste of satin ice and I pefer decorating with it over royal icing.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 8

I like to use RB (rolled buttercream). It tastes better than fondant but is a little more tricky to work with. I roll mine between sheets of waxed paper or parchment. Then I do the decorating in RI. You can find the RB recipe here on CC.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 8

thanks... I think I'm going to do a little experimenting this weekend w/fondant & RI outlines. I will definitely post pics once done, especially if they turn out as cute s I am envisioning.

linedancer -- when you thin the karo, what ratio karo to water (or do you use something else to thin)?

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 8

I do use karo. I usually just guess, but I would say it is two to one. Two parts water to one part karo. I find the thinner mix keeps you from getting karo on the fondant. I use a 1/2" camel hair artist brush to put it on the cookie. That covers a 3-4" cookie in just a few strokes. You will have alot of fun with this. I am totally addicted..

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #7 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

I wrote a step-by-step article with photos to show you how I do it with my Antonia74 icing. icon_smile.gif

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 8

Antonia74, thankyou so much for writing that article for us newbies.

Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%