Support Issues For Tall Cake...

Decorating By Starkie Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 1:10pm by Starkie

Starkie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:50am
post #1 of 5

I am making a Princess cake (with a doll pick), and I don't want to use the Wonder Mold. Can I use one-half of the sports ball pan and 2 carved 8" pans without having to dowel and support it? I need to make this today, so any and all comments will be helpful!

Thanks!
<S>

4 replies
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:23am
post #2 of 5

You shouldn't have to support that at all

I make 3 and four layer cakes with no problem, so this should be fine with no support

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:55am
post #3 of 5

I agree - it's suggested one can go 4-5" of heigth before support is needed. O.k. you are planning on going just over that heigth, but.....the weight factor is almost nothing so it will be fine.
Remember the main reason for doweling is to keep the weight of the upper cakes from crushing the lowers ones; in this case the weight of a 1/2 ball is next to nothing (unless you make that 1/2 ball a fruitcake on top of reg. cake-hehe) so I see no need for support.

HerBoudoir Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 5

If I'm doing tall layers, one of the things I do to prevent "lean" is stick a couple thin bamboo skewers in the cake after I fill the layers, and put it in the fridge with the skewers until the filling sets. The skewers just give it a little extra support until the chilled filling can support itselt. Then I take the skewers out, and continue as normal.

Works like a charm.

Starkie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 5

Great! This is just what I needed to hear! Thanks, everyone!

<S>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%