Milk In Icing

Decorating By stings1409 Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 9:56am by stings1409

stings1409 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:07am
post #1 of 7

Does using milk in an uncooked icing shorten the shelf life of the product? I need to make lots of cookies. I have a fear of decorating them ahead and the icing being bad.
thank you,
joyce

6 replies
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:54am
post #2 of 7

Ok well this is what I was told.. I used a BC with heavy whipping cream in it... off the cake/cookies in a covered container it can sit out for 2 days... then stored in the fridge icon_smile.gif

But I have had no problems with keeping the cake out for several days.

As I have read many times before the sugar in the recipe does something to the milk products making them a little more durable to store outside of the fridge.

HTH's

have a great day icon_smile.gif

Christi

Starkie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:15am
post #3 of 7

I agree with wgoat ~ I never have any problem leaving buttercream (and I use ALL BUTTER, no Crisco) out on a cake for several days. I have tried a slightly different variation to my buttercream recently ~ instead of using milk, I have used a 1 to 1 ratio of plain coffee creamer to hot water, and added that in by the tablespoons to my buttercream. Creamer won't spoil, so I am safe on all accounts. (I think it also adds a bit of richness to the buttercream.)

icon_biggrin.gif HTH!
<Starkie>

wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:17am
post #4 of 7

I also agree with Starkie icon_wink.gif

I LOVE using creamer in my BC now !!! (THANK YOU SUGARSHACK icon_biggrin.gif )

cheaper also... whipping cream is SOOO expensive now

wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:32am
post #5 of 7

Here's a great thread on explaining the milk to sugar ratio and what it does to stabalize it icon_smile.gif

JanH found it icon_smile.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582086-.html

stings1409 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:52am
post #6 of 7

Thank you to all who answered. My cookies are for a baby shower that will have multiple moms to be. I didin't want anyone getting sick.

stings1409 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 9:56am
post #7 of 7

Would you use the creamer substitute in Toba Garrett's Glace' Icing? It calls for 3/8 cup milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%