Character Pan (Cake Was Dry) -What Can I Use To Prevent This

Decorating By xstitcher Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm by xstitcher

xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:26am
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone,

I just baked a Winnie the Pooh Cake pan (my first character pan) and it came out dry around the edges. I used 2 flower nails, however, since I have never used a character pan before the placement of these flower nails were not centered. I did not want parts of Winnie not showing. The pan I used was the Winnie Pan where he is holding the balloon. I had placed a nail in the balloon area and another in his belly area. Unfortunately the cake took longer to bake because the center was not cooked during the recommended baking time (BC mix).

Here is the pan I used:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=76F50944-802D-F658-007A8F370CEA7334&fid=76F50963-802D-F658-0205732F79D5C6EE

Is it possible to use the baking strips or something else to stop this from happening again? I baked the cake @ 350F. Should I perhaps bake at a different temp? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry everyone. I just realized that I have put this post in the wrong category. I can't seem to find anyway to change that, I thought if I edited it it would give me the option but I don't see that options anywhere. If someone could let me know how to move this post from General to How Do I that would be great! Thanks! icon_redface.gif

14 replies
veejaytx Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:26am
post #2 of 15

Well, I use the baking strips on my character pans, and I bake almost all my cakes at 325 instead of 350.

I attach the strips to the pans with the "bulldog" clips that come from the office supply store, they let you actually attach the strip to the pan. HTH a little.

bevyd Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 15

How long did you bake the cake? Maybe it was in the oven too long.When I use the box stuff, I always bake it 5 minutes less than the time listed on the box.Good Luck .

wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 15

I have never used one of those pans but... I have tasted many of them.. and I don't know if it is just me but A LOT of them had a dry taste to them. Maybe it is the pan itself?

Of course it didn't help that most of the ones I had had a bunch of stars on them and the stars were hard and crunch instead of creamy icon_sad.gif

kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 15

Part of the problem is that those pans are a thinner metal then others and cakes bake differently in them.
One way to help off set this is to place the cake pan into a larger pan and pour some water in - about 1/2 way up the sides of the pan w/batter in it.

Also since the pan is thinner & it bakes quicker you have to adjust the temp and time.

Cakenator Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 15

If you used a cake mix, try using hot water (like just below boiling.) you wont need a flower nail or cake strips.

shisharka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 15

My suggestion, after a cake is dry out of the oven, is to brush it on with simple syrup, made of equal amounts of water and sugar (say 1/2 cup), simmered to a pale golden color, flavored as desired to complement the cake, and cooled off. Problem solved icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks everyone!

These all seem like great ideas. I'll try each one out and see what works best. I just got a few of the character pans for each of my kids (4) and so I'll try each technique to see which works best. I'll keep you posted.

For now, my kids (including DH) dug into the cake as is without the decorating!

Thanks again, and have a great weekend all!

God Bless! icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:05am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Part of the problem is that those pans are a thinner metal then others and cakes bake differently in them.
One way to help off set this is to place the cake pan into a larger pan and pour some water in - about 1/2 way up the sides of the pan w/batter in it.

Also since the pan is thinner & it bakes quicker you have to adjust the temp and time.

Hi Kakeladi,

I'm going to try your method 1st (probably tomorrow) but I had a couple of ?'s. Do you still use flower nails and what temp and time would you recommend I start at? Thanks!

MichelleM77 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 15

I like using DH mix with the extender recipe from here. Always moist (and I tend to overbake).

xstitcher Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:38am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I like using DH mix with the extender recipe from here. Always moist (and I tend to overbake).

Thanks Michelle!

I would have written sooner but I just noticed your reply today! Sorry!

mamajan61 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:58am
post #12 of 15

I never go over 325 for my oven temp. But, if by some chance the cake still comes out dry, I just poke it with holes and pour a mixture of my favorite juice and powdered sugar over it and it's WONDERFUL. No dryness in that cake. Sometimes I'll use pineapple juice, sometimes orange juice, sometimes those combination juices make a GREAT syrup to pour over the cake.

xstitcher Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:22am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajan61

I never go over 325 for my oven temp. But, if by some chance the cake still comes out dry, I just poke it with holes and pour a mixture of my favorite juice and powdered sugar over it and it's WONDERFUL. No dryness in that cake. Sometimes I'll use pineapple juice, sometimes orange juice, sometimes those combination juices make a GREAT syrup to pour over the cake.

Hi mamajan61,

I have a ? for you. Do you just eat the cake as is after you pour your mixture over it or do you go ahead and decorate it than eat it? Also how much juice/powdered sugar do you use? Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers!

mamajan61 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #14 of 15

Hi there xstitcher...

I use 1/3 cup of juice to 1/3 cup of powdered sugar. If your using orange, lemon or lime juice, you can also add some of the zest, but I use a skewer to poke the holes... pour in the juice and let the cake sit for about an hour, or if I'm running short on time, just place it in the refrigerator. After it's set, then I put the icing on as normal. It's awesome... adds a little flair to the cake that people weren't expecting.

Let me know how yours turns out....

xstitcher Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks mamajan61,

I'll give that a try next time I get a dry cake! This one was eaten (except the edges) by the kids as is!

I'll definitely keep this trick in mind.

Have a great day!

Cheers! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%