Should I Even Bother?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm by Mac

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:56am
post #1 of 12

I got an email today from a customer who wants me to ice some dummy cakes for her wedding.
She is getting sheet cakes to serve and just wants the dummy for the table.
Should I even consider it, and if I do how would I charge her?

11 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:33am
post #2 of 12

I charge 85-90% of my normal price (only because I can reuse the dummies if I get them back)

Should you do it, I personally won't b/c most likely when they cut the cake provided by others they will remove the one you did and most people will assume whoever did the centerpiece cake did the other cakes also.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #3 of 12

I wouldn't. I've got one of the more visible sites locally, and I post everything. It really wouldn't be difficult for people to make the mistake of thinking that I made the cake and so and so's wedding.

Just turned down a couple of really cool groom's cakes for that reason.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 12

i wouldn't do it either. theres a good chance that the people will think you made the sheet cakes, and if they're gross you don't want to start a reputation. i've gotten a few requests for a dummy cake and i turn them all down. don't worry, you'll get lots more requests for beautiful wedding cakes made of real cake.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 12

I hate those stupid bridal magazines!!

I wouldn't do it unless you were doing the sheet cakes as well, but at that point it would be MORE expensive for the bride because I would charge full price for the dummy cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

I hate those stupid bridal magazines!!

I wouldn't do it unless you were doing the sheet cakes as well, but at that point it would be MORE expensive for the bride because I would charge full price for the dummy cake.

DITTO!! thumbs_up.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks, I did'nt really want to mess with it anyways.
Oh and she already has the dummies, she just wants plain white butter cream on them.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 12

If she's already got the dummies, why on earth wouldn't she just do it herself and slap some fresh flowers on it!!!??? icon_confused.gif She's already gone the cheap route, she might as well go the whole way!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

If she's already got the dummies, why on earth wouldn't she just do it herself and slap some fresh flowers on it!!!??? icon_confused.gif She's already gone the cheap route, she might as well go the whole way!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:05am
post #10 of 12
Quote:

ESPECIALLY when she finds out the price!

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Quote:

ESPECIALLY when she finds out the price!

LOL... I agree with the "why wouldn't she just buy the rest of the stuff to make it herself... Also, buttercream on cake dummies, takes about 5x as long to get the darn thing smooth as it would for fondant... Fondant transports better... and looks nicer.

Ugh... I guess my thought is (not knowing your business situation..).. If I was IN business, absolutely not unless the decimel is in the right place (yes, I do have my price icon_evil.gificon_twisted.gif )... If I wasn't in business and this was for a friend, I'd say sure, ask for her to pick up the cost of the supplies (but I'd insist on fondant instead of BC!!!! - dollar for dollar it's going to cost the same and the fondant is going to be MUCH easier to cover the dummies with), then something for my time. The fondant will also give you extra days to make the thing because you can make it a month in advance, cover it with a garbage bag and wha-la still is done... Buttercream will suck in every speck of dust and discolor in spots.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #12 of 12

About dummies--I have just been approached by a photographer to use my already decorated dummy cakes for photo shoots with brides.

I told him that I would rent it for $20 for the shoot. I already have 3 shoots lined up. The dummy that started this was my pink and black Crisman Tablescape cake. I still have the Lone Star dummy cake from Crisman Tablescape 2007 and a white on white (2-tier) with pearls from a restaurant display dummy that I made. Just another way to make a few extra dollars.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%