Beginner Needs Help On How Long In Advance To Make Cake...

Decorating By nicoleymitchell Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 12:49pm by indydebi

nicoleymitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoleymitchell Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:06am
post #1 of 8

I'm fairly new to baking cakes--- I've only done a few fancy ones so far. I've always done them the morning of the event (with many practice runs beforehand), however I would like to try to do my next one in advance, as I just think its too much work for one day. I'm doing a guitar cake for a chocolate lover... chocolate cake, chocolate ganache-type frosting and lots of candy decorations.

My questions is: can I make the cake beforehand? I've heard you can make the cakes (it will be three full cakes, split into 2 layers each) a few days beforehand, freeze them and thaw them out to cut, frost. etc. I've also heard you can frost a few days beforehand. But I'm worrying about the cakes and frosting drying out!!

My ideal situation is to make the cakes several days in advance and freeze them. Then, maybe 1-2 days before, I can thaw them out, cut the shapes, and frost them. Also, I can make all the candywork and decorations at this time. Then, the day of the event (30th b-day party), all I will have to do is decorate the already-made and frosted cake!!
Is this too good too be true???

Thanks!!

7 replies
norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #2 of 8

First day: Bake, wrap with plastic wrap, refrigerate.

Second day: Torte, moist w/ flavored syrup, add filling, crumb coat, refrigerate.

Third day: Frosting and decorate. Deliver in the afternoon, or in the next day.

Everything always made from scratch.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:26am
post #3 of 8

<...My ideal situation...make...cakes several days in advance...freeze;...1-2 days before, thaw, cut the shapes, and frost them...make all the candy and decorations at this time. day of the event, all I will have to do is decorate the already-made and frosted cake!! Is this too good too be true???...>

What's the ? You have the time line down paticon_smile.gif
You can bake them now; prepare for fzing by wrapping in plastic wrap, then place in plastic bags.
Will be even better when you thaw themicon_smile.gif
You will be surprised how much less stress you will be under so you can do a much better job decorating.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:48am
post #4 of 8

I am a newbie baker to these fondant covered cakes and my problem is getting the fondant on the cake as best I can.

This is what seems to take me the longest hopefully some day it wont!

So I like to bake 2 days in advance as it gives me time to let my cake rest and then tort and cover without to much pressure.

I have all my bits and bobs made in advance like shoes or whatever, usually start them a week in advance!

Might help to figure out what you are slowest at or what part stresses you out the most and allow yourself plenty of time for those parts!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:08am
post #5 of 8

Here's what I do

Day 1 I bake, cool, wrap and let settle...

Day 2 I torte and fill and wrap and let that settle..to get out any buldging for at least 6 hours...

Then I go around the sides with a knife to get even or any buldges out.

Ice, decorate... So it CAN take up to 3 days for me or just 2. I never have a dry cake and it stays fine icon_smile.gif

Banda I love the "bits and bobs" statement icon_biggrin.gif

nicoleymitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoleymitchell Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much everyone!

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 8

I always try to decorate my cakes 2 days before they are eaten so that if something goes wrong I will have another day to redo the cake. For cakes due on Friday or Saturday I bake on Monday or Tuesday and freeze then thaw and decorate on Thursday. I have never had any problems with this.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:49pm
post #8 of 8

I bake, ice and decorate on THursday for a Saturday wedding, when possible. If I'm really jammed, I will bake/ice on Thursday, decorate on Friday.

bake ahead and freezing is a great time saver step. It only takes a couple of hours for cakes to thaw to a workable state, so it's great to take them out of the freezer and be ready to go literally in minutes. When the cakes are already baked, when the icing is already made, you'll be amazed how fast you can fly thru the decorating part! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%