Can Anyone With Good Eyesight Help Me???

Decorating By kellycakes4949 Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 1:55am by FLOWERGEL

kellycakes4949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycakes4949 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:34am
post #1 of 17

My friend would like her parent's wedding cake remade for their 50th anniversary. This is the only picture she has. Unfortunately it is really hard to see the detail. Can anyone help me to interpret the detail on this cake?

To me it looks like maybe some kind of gridwork on the top half of each cake and then cornelli lace on the bottom half? Then separated by a ruffle loop? Or maybe the loop is piped shells. There also look to be flowers on the bottom of each loop but I can't really tell what they are.

There also look to be grapes hanging from the board of each tier, what would these be made of?

Thanks for helping me solve this puzzle! It would have been much easier if there was colour photography 50 years ago!
LL

16 replies
lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 2:00am
post #2 of 17

Definitely there is lattice work inside of some sort of medallion shapes which look like they are outlined with maybe reverse shells?? I see what you mean about the "loops" at the bottom of the medallions filled with flowers or maybe a pair of doves which was very popular back then.

Those could be grapes or leaves hanging down, my guess is leaves since I don't see grapes anywhere else and usually that would be something carried throughout the rest of the theme.

I don't see the cornelli lace but you have definitely been looking at the photo longer than I have.

Also with all of that filigree I'm guessing there is probably smaller RI filigree outlining the medallions.

What a sweet idea to copy the parents wedding cake...good luck with your re-creation.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 17

I can't really see much, either. But maybe you could ask your friend to help you interpret the image? Or ask some of the parent's family or friends? If it's not a surprise, maybe you could even ask the parents.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 17

Here are two cropped, enlarged and enhanced versions. Maybe someone can see more details.
LL
LL

kellycakes4949 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks for trying to help everyone! Unfortunately this is a surprise and my friend is not sure she can snag the original photo from the album without her mom becoming suspicious.

Lorijom, what is a filigree???

lorijom Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 17

All those lacy looking decorations that sort of stand out from the cake...you can see them best on the sides. I call them filigree because they are a bit more substantial than lace.

I used my digital software to try to look more closely at the bottom of those medallions and it looks like 1 open flower - maybe even a wild rose - flanked by two smaller ones.

Candes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 17

I think your friend should try to snag the pic. How often does mom look at her photos? lol It would be exciting to have the exact replica.

Tell mom she's creating a collage. LIE LIE LIE but get that photo. LOL

Chrissy450 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrissy450 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:44am
post #8 of 17

Yeah it seems theres some sort of lace,
I agree there, try and get that photo...if it helps more than the picture you already have, then it would be worthwhile to.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 17

Wow this is an awesome idea but if your friend wants it to be identical to the photo you're really going to need a better photo or have someone tell you in detail...perhaps a relative or friend who was at the wedding who could remember....

I'd have to snag the better picture from mom's album....have someone take mom out to lunch or keep her occupied while someone snags the picture and goes and gets a copy and then returns the picture...snagging the picture CAN be done...your friend will just have to be sneaky and/or tell a white lie to get it from mom.

Good luck and have fun. I think it's a great idea and think about the funny story that will go along w/ getting the picture. Mom will be touched by the cake and get a kick of hearing the sneaky plan to get the pic from the album! LOL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 17

who says Mom has to know the album is missing let alone the photo?

---

or.....as a "gift" to mom -- have the photos "restored" and put in a new album that contains both the original and the 50th anniversary photos....this will necessitate getting the originals so they can be restored well in advance of the celebration.

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:40am
post #11 of 17

You can definitely take that photo to a restoration person who could enlarge it and make it clearer. This is such a great gift idea... it should be perfect! I vote to take the picture also, Mom would never know, and she surely wouldnt care once she saw why it was missing!

Good luck with your project!

lorijom Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 17

I've been curious....how's this project coming along?

kellycakes4949 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 17

Sorry, I should have added an update. Actually I am still waiting for the "go" from my friend. I quoted her a price and she's waiting until her brother arrives in town this weekend. He's staying at her mom's place and is hoping he can snatch the picture from their wedding album. Stay tuned...

lilyanddayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyanddayne Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:40am
post #14 of 17

it looks like maybe deer in between the layers. icon_confused.gif thank goodness these styles are out!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:48am
post #15 of 17

it looks like leaves of some sort hanging off the edges. i'm sorry i'm not much help from here, i'm working off a small laptop. that's a great idea to duplicate their old cake. good luck, can't wait to see pics.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:53am
post #16 of 17

I AGREE SNATCH THE PIC BECAUSE IVE GOT MY GLASSES ON AND IT LOOKS LIKE I NEED NEW ONES..WOW ITS HARD TO BELIEVE THEY DID THAT WORK ON CAKES BACK THEN..PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT GOT ME CUROUS.

FLOWERGEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FLOWERGEL Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 1:55am
post #17 of 17

hello everyone
i hope this can help... use a overhead projector to see the picture clear

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%