What To Do With Egg Yolks?

Decorating By cvoges Updated 28 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm by PattyT

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:44pm
post #31 of 49

So sorry lanibird...I hadn't gotten back to this thread till today. Wasn't ignoring your request - just a little busy.

If I'm using liquid or juice only, I use the Lemon Curd recipe in Flo Braker's Sweet Miniatures cookbook. I have it on my home computer - but not at work, so I can't give you exact qty's. Will send it to you this weekend. I like it because pretty simple and forgiving. Other's have mentioned they really like Alton Brown's lemon curd recipe. Martha Stewart and RoseLevy Berenbaum each have them. Once you get used to lemon, you can use any acidic liquid - but lime doesn't need quite as much sugar, and orange needs some lemon juice added to make it "jell" better.

If I'm using fruit puree, I start with the Nectarine Lime curd tart recipe on Epicurious.com Link is http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/15128

I've used combinations of nectarine/lime, raspberry/lemon, orange/mango with much success. You always have to have a certain amount of lemon or lime juice (whatever compliments the fruit you are using) so it will firm up.

Again, I think I have a Word document with some notes etc. I'll send it to you this weekend.

HTH - sorry for the delay... icon_redface.gif Pat

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #32 of 49

I save them and then use them whem I make meatloaf.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:17pm
post #33 of 49

Has anyone saved the yolks and used later. How would they work after they have been frozen? Or should I stick them in fridge and use within a few days? I hate wasting them, but don't always have time to do something with them right away.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #34 of 49

Has anyone saved the yolks and used later. How would they work after they have been frozen? Or should I stick them in fridge and use within a few days? I hate wasting them, but don't always have time to do something with them right away.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:23pm
post #35 of 49

Egg yolks and egg whites can be frozen. Just thaw in the fridge.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #36 of 49

I saw on tv that you can use them to get out stainsicon_smile.gif

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #37 of 49

My mother in law uses the yokes to make german chocolate cake frosting. It can also be frozen if you dont have a need for it now.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:38pm
post #38 of 49

I made Chocolate Bavarian Cream with my left over egg yolks last weekend. It is the filling part of the attached recipe. I used it to fill a chocolate cake. First I smeared some melted and strained morello cherry jam on the cake, then a solid layer of the chocolate cream before continuing with more cake. Seriously good. The CBC tastes like really rich chocolate mousse!

http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/22730/chocolate-bavarian-cream-pie.html

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:41pm
post #39 of 49

I make omletts icon_biggrin.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:48pm
post #40 of 49

Feed them to my dog, she has the nicest, prettiest, silky coat ever.

Or I make Sylvia Weinstock's Buttercream filling which uses the yolks from her IMBC recipe.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:58pm
post #41 of 49

I'm with TipTop57 -I scramble them up for my dog and she too has a beautiful, shiney, silky coat. Not to mention using them in quiches, omlets, homemade puddings, extra yolks in cakes, and German Chocolate Cake Filling.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:59pm
post #42 of 49

OK, so all of this talking (and pictures!) about curd has gotten me hungry for tarts! Anyone have a great recipe for either Lemon or Key Lime curd or know where I can find one? TIA

Amber

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #43 of 49

Those are all yummy ,gotta go and make me some icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for sharing thumbs_up.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsapph

OK, so all of this talking (and pictures!) about curd has gotten me hungry for tarts! Anyone have a great recipe for either Lemon or Key Lime curd or know where I can find one? TIA

Amber

This one looks good...

http://coconutlime.blogspot.com/2006/08/key-lime-curd.html

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

So sorry lanibird...I hadn't gotten back to this thread till today. Wasn't ignoring your request - just a little busy.

HTH - sorry for the delay... icon_redface.gif Pat

No worries! icon_biggrin.gif I know how busy life can be!

Thank you so much. I have that Flo Braker cookbook, but, like most of my other books, I forget to look in them! dunce.gificon_lol.gif

Got some SMBC to make next week, looks like I'll be making some curds too!

edited for dunce.gif moment.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:50pm
post #46 of 49

MMMM... Melody, that does sound yummy. Granted, anything with key limes is an instant favorite! Thanks!!

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:59pm
post #47 of 49

I lay the yolks out on wax paper and freeze them. Then I can save them for any of these wonderful recipes later. Sometimes I throw a couple extra yolks into the scrambled ggs or use them as an egg wash (with a little warm water)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:24pm
post #48 of 49

I just got this the other day. I don't remember exactly where, and this is not it's original name.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Egg Yolk Cookies

1 c Shortening (part Butter or margarine)
2 1/2 c Flour
1/2 t Lemon extract
1 1/2 c Sugar
1 t Baking soda
6 Egg yolks -- beaten
1 t Cream of tartar
1 t Vanilla
Sugar -- for dipping

Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add beaten egg yolks to which
flavorings have been added. Combine flour, soda, and cream of tartar, and add. Roll into small balls. Dip into sugar, and flatten out on a greased
cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 28 Apr 2008 , 12:37pm
post #49 of 49

re: Freezing Yolks & Whites

I went to the "Egg Council" web page a few years ago to see about freezing.

They said the whites can be frozen as is - and I have done this since with great results. No problems at all.

They also said the yolks need to be broken and mixed with a bit of sugar - if you plan to use for baking, or salt - for savory foods.

I tried it with sugar, and it worked - sort of.

There were little solid bits of yolk when they thawed. This was fine for curds because I strain them out, but tested in a cake and I kept hitting the little hard bits....yuk.

HTH - Pat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%