Fondant Problem

Decorating By JuneHawk Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 1:20am by JuneHawk

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 6

I have tried to make my own fondant twice and both times have been interesting to say the least. My problem is that I end up using a lot more sugar than the recipe calls for and the fondant is still sticky. The first time, back in October, I used Michelle Foster's recipe and while the fondant tasted great, I had to A LOT more sugar to it. Even then, I still had to add a lot more when coloring and rolling time came. Today, I used Toba's recipe and I had the same problem. I used about 2.5 pounds of sugar even though the recipe says up to 2 pounds. The fondant was a bit sticky I probably will have to add even more sugar before I can roll it out. Maybe I am missing something and homemade fondant is supposed to be sticky? I find that hard to believe though.

So, not an actual disaster but definitely something wrong! I don't want to have to use gross Wilton fondant and Satin Ice is just too expensive but making my own fondant is driving nuts!

Any suggestions? TIA!

June

5 replies
JuneHawk Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 6

Oh, another thing, it's not just the stickiness, it is also very soft.

shalderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalderman Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 6

Remember that humidity can play a roll in this. I just recently started using Michelle's fondant recipe and I've had great luck with it. Sometimes I have not even used all the p/s called for! But up here in WI its drier in the winter...so we'll see what happens this summer!

Also, remember that its best to make the fondant & let it rest 24 hrs before using it. It looses some of that stickiness. Now mine is not wet sticky when I make it -its dry but soft. Then the next day it has firmed up a touch and works great. I think it would be hard to use immediately after making it.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:34am
post #4 of 6

Okay- I hope it's not too late. I've tried Toba's Fondant twice. The first time was exactly as you are describing, I did a search here on CC and read that alot of people have to add more PS. The second time I did add more PS, alot more and it worked beautifully. I did make sure to let it rest. I have yet to try MF Fondant.

Don't give up. The taste is not comparable to Wilton's.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 6

I am so glad you asked these questions because I was just about to post something similar myself! I haven't tried making my own yet but I can't afford premade except Wilton, which I refuse to use. Thanks Ladies!

JuneHawk Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #6 of 6

Thanks ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%