Serving Size Help Asap Please

Decorating By Strazle Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 10:25am by JanH

Strazle Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 4

I have to do a cake for 70 guests and a request to have enough cake left over to take home after the party. I have a 12" round and 8" round torted and filled. Each tier is about 4.5 to 5. inches tall. I am using the sports ball pan for the top tier. Is this enough or should I add the 14' round that is baking right now? I have never made a cake this big before. TIA!

3 replies
kettlevalleygirl Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 4

Here is the link to the wilton serving size chart,

is the top tier in addtion to the 12, and the 8 inch??
if so should be enough.
According to most, the wilton sizes are smaller, so I use it and round it down a bit...

Strazle Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 4

I meant to say....a 12" round and a 10". I have seen the serving charts and they just don't seem close in my opinion.

JanH Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:25am
post #4 of 4

The Wilton charts allow for two different serving sizes, either 1x2x4 (wedding) or 1-1/2x2x4 (party):
(Serving yield charts in these sizes are also available for 3" deep pans.)

So according to the charts:

10" round yields 28 party servings
12" round yields 40 party servings
sports ball pan should yield at least 10 servings

For a total yield of 78 party servings - enough for some left-overs, if no one asks for seconds.

If you include the 14" pan which yields 63 servings - there will certainly be plenty left to take home.

Link to indydebi's method of cutting clean servings of tiered cakes:
(This method yields about 10% more servings than Wilton's way.)

If your customer doesn't want to pay almost DOUBLE the price of the 10", 12" and ball pan cake -don't add the 14" because YOU are increasing the servings from 78 to 141 (just so they can have free left-overs).

Perhaps, a better option would be to use the ball pan (10) 10" (2icon_cool.gif and 14" (63) for a total of 101 party servings.

If you give cake away for free, everyone will want free cake. Yeah, I'm ordering an 8" cake but I'd like left-overs; so can you throw in a free 12"?

If your cake is already stacked and ready to go...

Invoice at the correct total price for all the servings provided and deduct a "special discount".

This way, everyone loving your cake who asks the customer how much it was, will know she got a deal.... (A one-time, limited offer, because I'm trying to drum up business special, not to be

Quote by @%username% on %date%