No County Health Inspector????

Business By Batter-UpBakery Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm by Batter-UpBakery

Batter-UpBakery Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 18

What is up with that? I have been on the phone the past two days trying to figure out the rules for setting up a partable building to use as a kitchen at my house and can't get any answers. I have been told by several people at the county that there is no health insp. in my county. icon_confused.gif That's just weird. Nobody can seem to tell me what I need to do. So, what do you think I should do? Should I just leave it alone and continue baking at home or should I just go ahead and make the building into a kitchen? I am confused lol. Anyhow just thought I would share this odd news with you and see if anyone else has this problem. Oh and BTY I know the cakes in my pics arent great but I have gave up trying to upload them and have gotten alot better, my customers are still family and friends but I would like to become legal so.....

Thanks,
Jennifer

P.S. Sorry its so long.

17 replies
leily Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 18

I would say if no one in our county can help then go the the state. Even if your county doesn't have a health inspector your state does.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 18

I thought about that also. I am just trying to get over the shock of there being no inspector. I thought every county had one.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 18

Well, I just called one of the cafes in town and they said it took the state inspector about 2 months to come out AFTER they opened icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif WHAT??? I guess I will be making even more calls today and tomorrow trying to get ahold of someone at a state department. This is frusterating (sp) lol. I have other people wanting to order but I don't want to take any really for fear of getting in trouble. GRRRR thats all i can say.

Jennifer

poshcakedesigns Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 18

I'm having the run around with the state of Alabama. These people act like they have never heard of 'shared kitchen' space and told me it would be next to impossible for me to get a license to use someone elses kitchen....

You've got those of us that want to be legal but our state/counties make it next to impossible and want share what 'information' they do know. I kept asking questions and she kept giving me 'run around' answers and get this she was the SUPERVISOR. I dont know any more now than I did when I called them. I'm still stuck at WHAT DO I do now. I even asked the lady for what steps do I take, what do I do? She still couldn't or should I say wouldn't give me the answers I needed.

Backwards ALABAMA.... tapedshut.gif

Batter-UpBakery Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 18

Well Texas is the same way. Or atleast Liberty County is. It's just crazy how nobody seems to know what to tell us. I tried calling some numbers for the state today and I am in the same boat as you Poshcakedesigns. They need to get there crap together so that we can too lol. Hope you have better luck with this than me!!!!!

Jennifer

poshcakedesigns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 2:03am
post #7 of 18

Ladyhitman - I called back again this afternoon talked to someone different and still NOTHING. I explained once again what I was wanting to do and that I may have found kitchen space to rent. And was told this time that it is very RARE for the state of Alabama to give a license to a 2nd person to use. icon_evil.gif

O.k. for any of you that are in Alabama and share kitchen space can you please tell me how in the heck you got a license?

I see NOW why people do this under the radar. How can you start a business when the people that are paid with OUR tax dollars want even help us. Went to their website and still don't know anything new.

poshcakedesigns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 2:09am
post #8 of 18

Ladyhitman - I called back again this afternoon talked to someone different and still NOTHING. I explained once again what I was wanting to do and that I may have found kitchen space to rent. And was told this time that it is very RARE for the state of Alabama to give a license to a 2nd person to use. icon_evil.gif

O.k. for any of you that are in Alabama and share kitchen space can you please tell me how in the heck you got a license?

I see NOW why people do this under the radar. How can you start a business when the people that are paid with OUR tax dollars want even help us. Went to their website and still don't know anything new.

I'm half tempted to write an article and send it to the newspaper and entitle it "You don't have to know ANYTHING to work as a health permit inspector" and write about my experience with them and their lack of knowledge and help.

poshcakedesigns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 2:13am
post #9 of 18

I'm half tempted to write an article and send it to the newspaper and entitle it "You don't have to know ANYTHING to work as a health permit inspector" and write about my experience with them and their lack of knowledge and help.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 18

LOL Well it would be true. I can't believe trying to find out info is so hard. It's just crazy. I tried calling this morning and was giving two more numbers to call. Both were dead ends. So I give up for today. I have other stuff to worry about and this can wait till Monday. Again I hope you are having better luck. GOOD LUCK LOL

Jennifer

sweetcakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:20pm
post #11 of 18

Do you have a city hall? if so contact them.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 18

Yea that is where I started, but it has gotten me nowhere.

Jennifer

CNCS Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 18

Have you tried the state health dept it should be listed at your state capitol.
You need to ask for an environmentalist not an inspector even though they do the same thing they are in different depts.

Our health dept inspectors and environmentalists go all over the state to do inspections.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks CNCS I will try that. I have been asking for an inspector so now maybe with this new knowledge I can get somewhere. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.

Jennifer

poshcakedesigns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 18

I've tried them and the health department. Each one keeps telling me the same thing. No 2 people can share a kitchen in Alabama and if it does happen very rare. Which makes NO sense because I've seen post on CC where people that live in Alabama said they have rented kitchen space and were licensed.

I'm trying to find the CC's that have said that did it LOL that's going to be next to impossible but all I'm hitting are dead ends with my county and state.

CNCS Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:27pm
post #16 of 18

Also if you can call your state restaurant association that is over all restaurants, They know how to contact people.
Tell them your problem and they can give you names.

CNCS Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm
post #17 of 18
Batter-UpBakery Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #18 of 18

Good luck Posh. I hope you can get somewhere. I am still holding off till Monday. Thanks CNCS, hopefully poshcakedesigns can find what shes looking for. If I need it is there also. Also I hope you dont have to deal with more idiots lol. Have a great day!!

Jennifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%