Fondant Figurines -- Clueless

Decorating By doreenre Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 11:54am by Price

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 4

How do I get my fondant figurines to have a smooth finish? Mine always seem to have cracks and folds that I can't get smooth! It's so frustrating because it doesn't look as clean as I'd like.

Is there a secret? I've tried really soft fondant/gumpaste, but then it doesn't hold it's shape very well. I've tried rubbing with shortening, but nothing I've tried works.

Please help!

3 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:40am
post #2 of 4

you could try pm-ing aine2 and check out her videos on youtube, sorry I can't be of more help!

roseyrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roseyrider Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:49am
post #3 of 4

Hi, had the same problem. Don't know if this is the scientific answer......I have not had training, but I find just roll roll roll roll roll rol roll roll roll.........balls in the palm of your hand and then shape them from there once they are smooth. Works for me.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:54am
post #4 of 4

I just looked at your pictures. You do a great job modeling! I agree Aine2 is the authority on figure modeling! She has videos and also has tutorials for sale. Check out her website. Do you use straight fondant? If so try adding just a little tylose powder and see if that helps you. It takes practice and patience to model. Sometimes I get it right on the first try and other times it takes me awhile. I strive to be as good as Aine2, but have a long way to go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%