Pricing Questions

Baking By deetmar Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm by lainalee

deetmar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 7

I don't usually do cookies, but recently have been asked to do cookies as wedding, shower, and birthday favors. I was wondering how much to charge.

I tried to open the matrix, but my computer wasn't compatible. Can you help me out with the pricing?

I do some Jumbo cookies, and some regular sized. I also package them.

I am also getting more requests for cupcakes. I have three sizes, regular, large and jumbo. I am so bad at pricing.

Thanks for your help.

6 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 7

A popular pricing method is $1 per inch. So if your cookie measured 3 inches one way or another, then you would charge $3. I'm not quite up to that pricing yet, but pretty close.

GeminiRJ Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 7

Keep in mind that cookies are labor-intensive! Check your local bakeries to get an idea what they charge, so you can use that as a reference. Don't try to compete with the grocery store bakeries, though, as you won't be able to! Your product will be "custom made" so be sure to mention that fact if a client questions your pricing.

deetmar Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:03am
post #4 of 7

Thanks for the input!

N2Cookies Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:29am
post #5 of 7

Here is a copy of a price matrix that was submitted by a CC member, I don't remember who it was, but it's an excellent tool. It's very straight forward and very easy to use. Your customer should not have any problems understanding it. HTH Kudo's to the developer icon_smile.gif

deetmar Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, that helps. I always get frustrated when talking about pricing. I do a great job, but it is so hard for me to ask for what I think I am worth.

I was a single mother for about 6 years, and I know how it is to not be able to afford the nice things. I have several clients that are single parents. I wan their children to have nice birthdays, but I also don't want to give the product away. Some of them I have asked to to discuss what I charge with others, and this has worked so far.

I went to WalMart, Hy Vee, and Target and priced their cookies, cupcakes and cakes. I fall just a tad bit higher for my cookies, cheaper for my cakes, and in the middle for the cupcakes.

I have finally learned to do my cakes by cost per person, with extra or less depending on difficulty.

Cookies, I love doing. One store was charging $5 per large, which I see is right on with this chart. I will also take into consideration the difficulty.

Thanks for all your help.

lainalee Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 7

what a great tool. thanks for sharing!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%