Getting Licensed In South Carolina?

Business By stsapph Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 3:20am by stsapph

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if anyone knows who I would need to talk to and what steps I need to follow to get licensed in SC? I have recently accepted a job for a local caterer as a pastry chef (YAY!!) The even more exciting part is the the owner has offered me his kitchen to do any baking and decorating that I would like to do outside of my obligations to him! (double YAY!!) So I now have a licensed kitchen available to me, and need to know what else I need to do to become legal so I can start selling my cakes. Do I need to be inspected or is that incorporated in their license? Where do I go to get the business license? I am so clueless when it comes to this and was wondering if anyone knows! TIA!

Amber

6 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 7

I live in SC and I have never been able to find any reliable info on the subject of becoming legal.

Someone suggested contacting the Health Dept., but I really didn't want to "introduce" myself to them if you catch my drift! icon_wink.gif

I hope someone else will be able to offer more help.

stsapph Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 7

Any one have an idea?

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 7

I contacted my local health department about a year ago, and they sent me two booklets, "Food Equipment Installation Manual" and "Retail Food Establishments," which document how to set up a retail kitchen. It's my understanding that all you need is a business license since you have a certified kitchen. The secretary of state handles business licenses. Here's the website: http://www.sc.gov/Portal/Category/BUSINESS_TOP

stsapph Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks! They make it almost impossible to find any information. That definitely helps a lot!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 7

Here's a link with info on food permits in SC, hope it helps!

http://www.scdhec.gov/health/envhlth/food_protection/permits.htm

stsapph Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:20am
post #7 of 7

Thanks kelleym! That site is perfect, everything I was looking for!.Yay

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%