Can I Freeze A Completely Decorated Cake?

Decorating By mmgiles Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm by gris190

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 8

I had been talking to a customer and trying to work with her budget. I was already planning to charge less than usual, to help her meet her budget, but I understood what she was trying to accomplish.

Then I realize, or rather she tells me, that the date is for next Saturday. I already have a small wedding cake, plus a large (wedding style) anniversary cake and groom's cake with chocolate covered strawberries. I simply cannot accomodate her, UNLESSS...

Is it possible to decorate the cake, iced in buttercream with fondant stripes, its a 10" and 6" stacked cake, and freeze the cake? If I finish it on Sunday or Monday, then freeze it until Friday or so, for them to eat on Saturday, will this work? Should I just forget it?

7 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 8

i know you can freeze it if it were all bc. can you put the fondant accents on it after it thaws??? icon_confused.gif

mmgiles Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 8

I wont have time to decorate it, with all the other stuff going on. I just really want to be able to help her out. I'd hate to see her have to eat a Wal-mart cake.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 8

I've heard you can't freeze fondant. Take a piece of fondant and roll it out (colored preferably, to see if the color bleeds) then spread a bit of bc on a plate and put the fondant on top; freeze it overnight and then take it out and see what happens. I have refrigerated it with no problems.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 8

I would be afraid of the moisture of the freezer making the fondant gummy and mushy. Maybe you could test run a small cake or something and try wrapping it in paper or something to draw away condensation and see what happens.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 8

I froze about half of my Dr. Seuss hat cake (in my pics) for a week while we were on vacation, when we couldn't finish the cake before we left. We took it out and ate it when we returned, and I think it was fine, even with the colors, royal icing, stripes, etc. I can't recall how I defrosted it, though...but I probably took it straight from the freezer to the counter, possibly with a stop in the fridge first (wish I could remember!). And honestly I probably wasn't looking too closely at it from the point of view of perfection--we just wanted something to munch on, lol.

I'd definitely try a test run though, if it's for a wedding cake, but I just wanted to give you some hope (maybe).

mmgiles Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks. I think I might do this, if nothing else for the experience. I can get a picture of it before it goes to the freezer for my portfolio, and then after it comes out if it doesnt look good she can have it for free, or just go to walmart. I think that's what I'm going to offer.

gris190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gris190 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 8

I frose a cake with fondant accents by accident. I made a babyshower cake with moon and stars made out of fondant and fondant babies which I made. put it in a box, wrapped the complete box in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer. until I remembered at 4 in the morning that you were not supposed to put it in the freezer. needles to say, I ran to the freezer and took it out, so worried I had ruined my cake. when I unwrapped the plastic and opened the box. everything looked ok. but by morning the fondant was soft and shiny. did not bleed . hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%