How To Get Better Texture/box Mix

Decorating By korkyo Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm by cerobs

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 10:39am
post #1 of 10

I need some tips on how to get a better/smaller texture using box cake mixes. I've tried every combination of fast, slow, long and short and still don't get the desired results. Any suggestions?

9 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:10am
post #2 of 10

Have you tried sifting all your ingredients. We do and seem to get good results.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:40am
post #3 of 10

what end result are you looking for??? I sift my cake mix, and add a box of pudding mix and sometimes use the extender (for 1/4 sheet cakes) and my result is a dense yet tender cake that's yummy and good for carving as well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 10

Sifting the box mix is amazing.

To be honest, whenI first saw the idea that people sifted a cake mix, I thought, "geesh, some people have too much time on their hands!" icon_confused.gif But when I tried it, omg, I was convinced and hooked! The smoothest batter in the world .... very silky! Less time to run the mixer...... I was running the mixer for such a long time to get to that silky smooth stage, but with sifting, you really just run the mixer long enough to get all the dry ingredients wet.

ANd the texture ..... Euphoria!!!! The most beautiful cake texture I've ever seen!!

Can you tell I am just hooked on this technique!!???

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 10

I have been sifting my cake mixes as well and it amazes me how many hard lumps are in my sifter at the end...

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 10

how many time do you sift the mix for?

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 10

I only sift once.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leepat

I only sift once.

Me too. Any big lumps left, I push thru the wire screen. Otherwise, I dump em in the trash.

Give it a try .... you will be SO amazed.

LEt me add that this was the suggestion that made me adopt the attitude of "If a CC'er suggests it, then we have to give it a try." thumbs_up.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 10

Yeppers! Sifting does make an amazing difference. icon_biggrin.gif Also, if you are doing the extender or the WASC, I have found that using cake flour really gives a tight pretty texture to the cake. icon_smile.gif

Happy Baking!
Pat

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepat

I only sift once.

Me too. Any big lumps left, I push thru the wire screen. Otherwise, I dump em in the trash.

Give it a try .... you will be SO amazed.

LEt me add that this was the suggestion that made me adopt the attitude of "If a CC'er suggests it, then we have to give it a try." thumbs_up.gif

I thank I have died and went to heaven . I bake some upcake and a small cake with the cake mix that I sift. It was so smooth. Thanks Ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%