Sculpted Pb Cup Cake

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 4:23am by joaaaann

pjaycakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 10:10am
post #1 of 19

I am "attempting" to make a cake that looks like a peanut butter cup. I have mad it with a 10" round cake 3" high. I was going to freeze it for a little bit and then turn it upside down and slightly taper it to make that look of the peanut butter cup. Now the hard part. I really don't know how to make the ridges on the sides except for just carving away with a knife (is there a better way??) Then I was going to ice the ridges and flip back over and cover the whole thing in chocolate Satin Ice Fondant.

Does all this sound like it will work? Or am I going about this the long hard way?

18 replies
tchrmom Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 10:44am
post #2 of 19

It sounds really hard to me, but I am pretty inexperienced. I have a "cake comb" that I use to do "pages" on a book cake. I'd think you could frost it and then use that, but then you couldn't cover it in fondant, I guess. I guess it just depends on the look you want. I also wonder if the ridges would show with all the frosting and fondant the way you are describing it. They might-- I just don't know enough. Good luck.

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:12am
post #3 of 19

I wouldn't carve the cake. Those ridges would be so small that getting even a thin layer of fondant to take shape would be difficult.

I would apply a slightly thicker layer of BC under a slightly thicker layer of rolled fondant, then I find something with a hard edge and a right angle and emboss the ridges in, instead.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #4 of 19

I think playingwithsugar has the right idea......better to make the ridges once the fondant is on there! But it will need to be a nice thick layer, you don't want it to tear

tchrmom Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 19

I agree with playingwithsugar-- I knew someone would have a better idea than I had. For the "right angle", would a brand new corner spackler thing (for sheetrock compound) that has been washed be good?

playingwithsugar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 19

You can also go to the craft store and look in the wood section for the thin strips of wood, near the dowels. At AC Moore, they sell square dowels, just around the corner from the display of round dowels.

Now, before someone gets their knickers in a twist --

You cut the piece of wood to a good size for handling. Then you dip it in paraffin wax, to seal it and create a barrier between the wood and the cake, because that wood is not food-safe.

Then you use the corner edge to do the embossing.

Oh, and with that trowel idea - if you get something like that, make sure it is stainless steel.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 19

Thanks all. They didn't ask for fondant (that was my idea to make it easier) so maybe since I won't be carving the ridges. I'll just put an extra thick layer of icing and use the comb thingy to make the ridges.

Appreciate all the info and will definitely keep all your suggestions for future projects.

bambuf Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 19

I agree with everyone else. You could also you an inexpensive plastic ruler to make the ridges, if you choose to do fondant. Good luck with your cake and be sure and post it when you are done!

CakesByLJ Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:19pm
post #9 of 19
Originally Posted by pjaycakes

I really don't know how to make the ridges on the sides except for just carving away with a knife (is there a better way??)

This rolling pin will do the job easily.. I love this thing.. I just made some mini cakes and did the sides exactly like what you want; just cut the sides as a strip and cover the sides separately, leaving a tiny bit over the top to look like the real deal.... hope that makes sense.. I can post a picture later if you want.....

BakingGirl Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 19

I have an impression mat which has ridges on it, that would probably work. I got mine from Country Kitchen.

peacockplace Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #11 of 19

I made a giant peanut butter cup for a grooms cake. You can see it in the gallery under sculpted cakes on my website, . I did the ridges after it was covered in fondant.

pjaycakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 19

Wow I checked it out and it looks so real. Is the top just icing or fondant also? Great looking cake.

peacockplace Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 19

It was frosted, then covered in melted chocolate.

pjaycakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:02pm
post #14 of 19

Do you mind if I use your idea to try and make mine. I know my cake will not do your's justice, but I love the concept. Thanks

peacockplace Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:43pm
post #15 of 19

Good luck. I hope it turns out great!

puzzlegut Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 19

I'd like to make a white chocolate peanut butter cup. I though about possibly using modeling chocolate for the sides of the cake to represent the wrapper. I'd like to learn more about getting the ridges on the sides of the cake.

joaaaann Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 5:10am
post #17 of 19

I am actually doing a reese's cake this weekend too. It will be my first. I can't decide if I will make it 'in the wrapper' or just the PB cup itself. I will prob do the cup itself so that the taste wont be thrown off with fondant or anything not milk chocolaty tasting. I am going to make a thick peanut butter filling and then most likely do 'painstakingly-tedious-repetitive-one-at-a-time-lines' pressed in with a 'ruler' or something like that around the sides.

pjaycakes Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:30am
post #18 of 19

I'm doing mine with a 1 inch layer of chocolate cake, peanut butter cream filling, 2 inch layer of peanut butter cake, peanut butter filling, 1 inch layer of chocolate cake. Then I'm icing it in chocolate fudge icing, doing the sides with chocolate fondant and using melted chocolate on the top (poshcakes inspiration). I will probably make the fondant higher on top and cut it with a large pair of zigzag scissors and then use a triangle ruler to impress the sides with the same cuts. I hope it works out as easy as it sounds in my head. Good luck with everyone else's PB cakes.

joaaaann Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 4:23am
post #19 of 19

I am doing mine totally different. I thought about using fondant but I'm afraid I will screw it up basically haha. Good luck to you on yours. I am doing 2" bottom layer dark fudge cake and a thick layer of peanut butter filling ( taste like the reese's stuff!) and 2" top layer of the same dark fudge cake. I shaved down the sides so it resembles the right shape. I am using chocolate buttercream to ice it then going to use a jagged edge ruler to run some lines up the side and haven't figured out just yet what I'll do to make the point edges but I hope I think of something quick. Then I'm going to aribrush the sides black so it looks like it's in the 'paper sleeve thingy'. This cake needs to be done by 10 am and I have a ways to go tonight on it. To top it off..I'm going to use the Reese's magic shell chocolate over the top. I will post pics when I'm done. I hope to see yours too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%