Making A Cake Board

Decorating By MelandAva Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 4:44am by zoomitoons

MelandAva Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:53am
post #1 of 6

this may be a silly question, but i am rather new to this.....

i was wondering how i would go about making my own cake boards? i am starting a business and want to keep costs low and would think making a cake board would be cheaper than buying them for (australian) $10 each

any help would be great

5 replies
Mizuki Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:11am
post #2 of 6

My husband makes most of mine out of thin MDF. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's REALLY cheap and very sturdy. Similar to the masonite cake boards that you can buy.
Hope that helps!

busymom9431 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:13am
post #3 of 6

Do you mean reusable or cardboard? I couldn't tell you how but I know that you can buy something called Foam Board here and you only pay about $2 for a 20inch by 30 inch sheet of it. It is very sturdy and you can cut it to the size you need it and just cover it. We buy it at craft stores. Sorry I can't help more.

dragonflydreams Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:14am
post #4 of 6

. . . you can use foam core and cover with food grade foils that are available in different colors . . . you can cover the boards with gift wrap or other decorative paper, then cover with clear, self-adhesive contact paper. . . others cover the foam core with fondant and incorporate the board as part of the cake design (check out the gallery you will see lots of creative cake boards on some of the amazing cakes that have been all part of the "design") . . . but if you shop around you might find them reasonably priced already made . . .

3-1/2 inch cake rounds sold in 25 pc packages for $3.79. - these are minis but there are many sizes available

Hope you find something that works!!

lovely Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:41am
post #5 of 6

Short of suggesting Bunnings (craft section has blank rectangle and round place mats for $1.19 each that look good when you dress it up) I would look on ebay. has boards at cheaper prices than the few cake places we have in Brisbane.

zoomitoons Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:44am
post #6 of 6

My dad cuts and sands all my boards for me in the sizes I need.(he's teaching me to do it now) We just use whatever cheap thin washable boards we can get. I cover them with food safe floral paper or wrapping paper and clear food safe contact paper over that. I do get my boards back from my customers so I can reuse them. I get a $5 "deposit" for the boards in case I don't get it back but I've never had a problem with that yet.
I like doing it this way especially if I have a tall cake that needs support, I can drill holes for the dowels to fit and secure the cake much easier and less stress for me when transporting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%