Can Anyone With A Website Answer This Question?

Business By robinscakes Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 2:07am by grumpyx07

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #1 of 12

I recently set up a website for my bakery, but when I google the bakery name and "cakes" I don't get a hit for the website. I get a yellow pages hit, and a few other sites that are wedding related, or chamber of commerce, etc., but no hit for the website. Do you know if you have to register with Google or something like that? I have googled my name before and have come up with lots of hits for me, but I never registered for Google to find me.

I'd like people to be able to find the website, but right now it's hidden icon_cry.gif

Any help would be great.

11 replies
robinscakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:05am
post #2 of 12

P.S.

Yes the website is really on the web. When I type in the address on my browser it goes right to it.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:09am
post #3 of 12

i don't know anything about making websites, but my son is a programmer, i think there is something called a metatag (sp?) that is embedded in the page that makes the search engines find you.

i'm sure someone smarter than me knows the answer to this...i could be wrong.

supremecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supremecakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:37am
post #4 of 12

Hello Robin,

I'm finding a website "under construction" at www.robinscakes.com - is that your site?

Google requires about 5 pages before they will list a site. It also takes
a few weeks for them to get around with their web crawler robot.

BOB

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:47am
post #5 of 12

IT can take a while for the google, etc... to "crawl" your site. You CAN however submit it to google, yahoo, and all the rest to make it go in faster. Should be a link on the main google page.

taniabanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taniabanana Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 7:48am
post #6 of 12

Try going here:

www.google.com/webmasters

Lots of help about getting traffic to your site and improving your ranking

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:11am
post #7 of 12

Do you have meta tags on your site? They are words hidden on the side and whatever. So if someone puts in "Wedding cakes, New York City" it brings up bakeries in there.

You can add these yourself, or you can pay someone to add them. Being listed high up on Goggle can cost an arm and a leg.

DH manages my website and upkeeps everything. He spends a lot of time on it and is always working with the meta tags. I know another business that pays someone close to $1000/month just to make sure their website comes up #1 on any Google search for their area of business and location.

robinscakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:17am
post #8 of 12

No, I'm not robinscakes.com. It's Bennysbakerycakes.com. I'll ask my husband about the metatags thing. I have no clue what that is, but it sure sounds techy. He did most of the website and knows far more about techy things than I ever will. I'll also go to the link you provided, taniabanana.

Thanks so much for your help!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 12

Definitely need to get your metatags in there. Think of every possible thing people searching for cakes would "google." My website was the first one I ever did (used Homestead and they kinda walk you through it). You also have to wait about a week or so for the search engines to find your page, but you can also go to google and actually request them to do it sooner (can't remember where I found that, but you put in your email address on their "list"). they will find your website sooner if you have metatags since that is what the search engines "read" along with your main page (make sure there is a lot of basic information on your main page including your location for the search engine to grab).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 12

Getting links from other sites to your site will also help your google rank. If you know people with websites who will put your link on theirs you should do that. You can start by listing it in the CC directory if you haven't already! If you're a member of ICES you can submit it to their listings.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:39am
post #11 of 12

how do you get on cc directory?

grumpyx07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpyx07 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:07am
post #12 of 12

Those who have already replied are right...you definitely need your meta tags, it will help for others and Google to find you quicker. Put as many tags as you can, every word related to your website you can think of, and even mis-spellings.

However, it also depends on how much traffic is coming to your website from those just typing in the URL. Promote your page like crazy, even if it's just friends and family checking it out for awhile. I run many many websites, and even design them for a living. One of my websites gets 20,000,000 hits a month and when you search the topic it's the second webpage that comes up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%