Cleaning Wilton Tips

Decorating By auntsteff Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 10:25am by hwnhulahands

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 10

I have 10-15 tips that were passed on to me that were my grandmothers. Unfortunately, between the time she passed and the time I got the tips, they had been outside for quite some time. And I mean in the elements, outside.

I have been trying to clean the tips, several have rust IN them. I have used the magic eraser to get the outside clean, but I am having a hard time getting the rust from the inside. My fingers are not that small.

I have put them in a pot on the stove tonight, with water and regular white vinegar. I was thinking of boiling them in the vinegar/water tomorrow and trying again. Any experience with this?

Any suggestions?

9 replies
southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:49am
post #2 of 10

I am a Wilton instructor and we always tell our students never soak the tips in vinegar. It discolors the tips and they will look tarnished.

I use a baby bottle brush that has a nipple cleaner attachment. Works great. Might be small enough to get the inside clean.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 10

I use a nipple brush too......maybe you could try wrapping some steel wool around a skewer or something to get inside there and get the rust out really good........I'd probably just toss the real rusted ones and buy new ones......I mean they're usually under a buck each

Larie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larie Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #4 of 10

you could try CLR

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #5 of 10

If they're rusted - I would just throw them out. Realistically, 10-15 brand NEW tips would cost you less than $20.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntsteff

I have 10-15 tips that were passed on to me that were my grandmothers. Unfortunately, between the time she passed and the time I got the tips, they had been outside for quite some time. And I mean in the elements, outside.

I have been trying to clean the tips, several have rust IN them. I have used the magic eraser to get the outside clean, but I am having a hard time getting the rust from the inside. My fingers are not that small.

I have put them in a pot on the stove tonight, with water and regular white vinegar. I was thinking of boiling them in the vinegar/water tomorrow and trying again. Any experience with this?

Any suggestions?

Keep them as keepsakes. Buy new tips.

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:28am
post #7 of 10

Most of these tips are more specialty-type tips that I can't find nearby. I would have to pay shipping to get them, and I hate to pay shipping. Plus, there is the emotional attachment to them, being that they were my granmother's.

I have to say, I don't care what color they are (if the vinegar changes the color). I just want the rust gone, whether or not I actually use them.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:49am
post #8 of 10

Wilton Tips are nickle plated and should not rust. Are you sure they are rusted and not just discolored? Rust should rub off on anything you use to clean them?

I have some that have rust colored discoloration in/on them, but it doesn't flake or rub off. It came from me letting them sit in water too long and isn't really rust.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:23am
post #9 of 10

If it is rust you can soak them in vegetable oil and then scrub them.

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:25am
post #10 of 10

I use the Dr. Brown straw cleaner to clean the inside of the tips. If you go to walmart and buy even just the single small dr. brown bottle (in infant section) it'll come with the little brush. It works perfectly for the inside of the tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%