How Are Things Done Differently Around The World......

Decorating By YummyFireMummy Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm by Homemade-Goodies

tania9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tania9 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 8:45am
post #61 of 68

I love this topic! There are some things I've read on CC and wondered what in the world they meant, so I am learning lots.
And mudcake is awesome! For the people who want conversions from our grams and litres etc, use this site
http://www.onlineconversion.com/
It's what I use when I want to convert a US recipe icon_smile.gif

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:26pm
post #62 of 68

I use that conversion site too...makes it very easy!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 8:33am
post #63 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by shisharka

Thanks a lot, ApplegumKitchen!!! Iâm fascinated by this recipe, and looking at the ingredients, Iâm sure Iâm going to love it -- it reminds me of some protein/antioxidant bars that I experimented with some time ago, in which I chopped all the different dried fruit that happened to be in my pantry⦠Granted, sans the brandy, the bars ended up expectedly dry, but thatâs what bars are, not cake!
I had to Google âsultanasâ and âmixed spiceâ to find out what those were â always something to learn â and new ingredients to stock up on⦠Now, hm, what excuse is coming up in the next couple of months to make this cake? icon_smile.gif

Now here's something funny for you!! Am I right in guessing that the CA stands for California?? - cause when I pulled out my packet of SULTANAS from my pantry - it states in BIG BOLD LETTERS.... Product of California!!

Hahaha - so what do you guys call them????

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:22am
post #64 of 68

icon_lol.gif ROLF!!! icon_lol.gif

From what I saw in Wiki, for me theyâve always been just golden raisins, a little larger than the red ones⦠never knew they were called Sultanas⦠I suppose they may be called that here, too, just in my 8 years in the U.S. Iâve never noticed the term⦠Now I have to run to the store and check out some packaging as I don't have any in my pantry icon_smile.gif. Product of California!!! ROLF!

robster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robster Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 7:12am
post #65 of 68

What an excellent thread....
I too am in Oz and I find it really hard to get plain white marshmellows (want to try MMF) - It seems all our marshmellows are pink and white....very frustrating!

0TNIC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
0TNIC Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 7:30am
post #66 of 68

This is a great thread. Over here in NZ its hard to find alternatives for some of the recipes you have and ive recently started buying most things overseas in order to be able to try some things.

Cake decorating here doesnt seem to be a big thing from what i can tell.... Theres a few lil places but nothing major. Most of the stuff aswell is so expensive to get here.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellistwins

We have something different we call fondant, which is almost like RI, but my teacher say that they used to call plastic icing fondant.

We work with:
Plastic icing
Royal icing
Modelling paste - (plastic icing with Tylose or CMC)
Flower paste - (Royal icing with CMC)

We don't get Tylose anymore in SA (don't know if it is world wide), but we use the CMC instead.

Hi fellow South African icon_smile.gif
just to let you know that there is a lady in PTA that still sells tylose, not sure where you are, but if its close by then pm me and I will give you her no. Also there is a product called Dyocell, its the generic of tylose.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm
post #68 of 68

AppleGum & Shisharka, I was born in California and only ever used the term golden raisins...I never heard of word sultana until I moved to Europe, and had to look up what that meant to put it together!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%