How Are Things Done Differently Around The World......

Decorating By YummyFireMummy Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 2:36pm by Homemade-Goodies

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:53am
post #31 of 68

for me, i couldnt figure out why brides would want fruitcake for their wedding cake. in Barbados, a lot of people know fruitcake to be a plain vanilla cake with fruits (like cherries and raisins) mixed in.

however, after looking through a recipe book, i saw a picture of fruitcake and a lightbulb went off. we call it "black cake".

it is a very dense cake with lots of cherries, raisins, prunes, and mixed peel that have been pureed in a food processor/blender, soaked in port wine and brown rum, and left to sit in an airtight container for weeks. it is called black cake because gravy browning is added to the cake batter.

after baking, it can then be soaked with MORRRRRRRRE rum icon_lol.gif

this cake is not for kids...i have tasted black cake where the smell of the rum came through my nose!!!! icon_wink.gif

boy...i need to research a recipe now!!!

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:01am
post #32 of 68

Slightly off topic, but all this talk about fruitcake for wedding cakes has made me think of one wedding cake in particular (and has made me hungry - I LOVE fruitcake!!). I'm from Dublin, and when I was last home I called into a cake shop close to home ... there was a picture on the wall of a recent cake they had made for a famous (in Ireland!) Irish couple. The cake was 9 tiers (with seperator pillars), of fruitcake. It would have served about 1500 people! the wedding was held in France so they had to ship it over & assemble it there. Apparently a lot of it was disposed of after the event ... .which still makes me weep when I think of it!!
Bring back Fruit cake wedding cakes is what I say - I miss them!!

ps murf - I'm sure I know you to see at toddlers!!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:15am
post #33 of 68

Hi eilers, how are you? After a long time. Talking about fruit cakes, in Sri Lanka, we call the fruit cake which we make for a wedding is "Wedding Cake". Because, we use lightly roasted semolina instead of flour and lots of different dryed fruits. The fruit cake is the normal fruit cake we all make with fruits and flour.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:32am
post #34 of 68

Well fruit cake used to be all we had for wedding cakes here, up until recently. Now it's mostly choc mud, white chod mud and carrot, but quite often the bride and groom will have 1 tier as fruit still. When I started decorating, at age 14 I only ever decorated fruit cakes. And most cakes had extension work, embroidery and lace work, so maybe they HAD to be fruit cakes to last that long. I timed my first wedding cake - it took longer being my first one, but altogether, it was over 90 hours!!!! Extension and lace on 3 tiers just took forever! It was done with 000 tips, too. And tips are called nozzles here!

All fruit cakes are first covered with almond icing, with egg white used to stick it to the cake. Then egg white is brushed over that to seal it, so no colours leech into the plastic icing. It is then left for 24 hours before the plastic icing (fondant) is put on. Marzipan is used here only for modelling.

Sheet cakes are called slabs, or lami-slabs (Lamingtons are made using those tins)

Pitch-in is called potluck here also.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:57am
post #35 of 68

I am from the West coast US (where we say Potluck, hehe) but am now living in the Netherlands, for the past 9 years. Cakes as we know them back home are rarely available here. Rather, commonly you will find a thin sponge cake with tons of whipped cream (slagroom) and then fresh fruit (kiwi, pineapple, mandarin orange slices). First when I moved here it was different and tasty...now, it's so boring and tasteless to me!

People that are cake decorating here are pretty much all working with fondant, making the most gorgeous pieces of art...but I'm not hearing very good reviews on taste. I haven't tried it here, so I don't know firsthand.

But, I think I am starting to make headway with a public here, seeking "meatier" desserts. If anyone has ever been to the US, they ask me about our apple pie, lemon meringue pie and cheesecake. I've made so many of these...even bread pudding! But in fairness, I've never made a bread pudding back home as yummy as here, because I use a festival bread found here in North Holland called Duivekater. (My family loves French toast made with this as well!)

Interestingly, the average person doesn't bake, no need with a bakery on every street corner, and in Amsterdam apartments, little room for other than the below counter refrigerator with only a stove top above it. My MIL has raised 5 kids and lived over 46 years in the same place, never baking a thing ever!

Even if you bake muffins from a mix you get praise and admiration here, so when I get the same praise and admiration after slaving for hours with my from scratch cakes/desserts I feel a little under-appreciated! LOL

rozben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozben Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:25pm
post #36 of 68

I like this thread. !!!
sparklepop you said I always thought mud cake was American as earlier recipes were called Mississippi Mud Cake and us good old Aussies shortened it to Mud Cake, well that's what I thought anyway
I agree eh, we do have a tendency to shorten our words to a "slang" i do remember years ago it used to be called a Mississippi Mud as well,

and MelandAva, you said oh, and i had thought crisco was similar to copha... vegetable shortening... or am i waaaay off in this???
hahaha when i was in the mood to try buttercream a few years back I couldn't find crisco either here in Oz, so i opted to use Copha. blech!!!
to me it was just a mouthful of grease, though the kids loved it so i don't know.. lol

annapanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annapanna Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm
post #37 of 68

This is so interesting!

I can see that there are similarities between the European countries. In Sweden, we also make a difference between a cake (kaka) and a torte (sp?) (tårta). A cake is simpler, maybe considered a bit boring, something to eat with a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon. It is not filled or covered. A torte is what we make for birthdays, weddings and such occasions. It is not as high as the American cakes and is made out of thin layers (often three) of (often white/vanilla, light, fluffy) cake and a lot of filling (most common is fresh fruit, whipped cream and custard).

There are two traditional cakes that I believe are the most common ones: cake with whipped cream and strawberries and princess torte (I have seen a recipe here). Tortes are covered in whipped cream or marzipan (the princess torte, lime green with a pink rose) and decorted whit fruit.

You bake your cakes from scratch or buy ready baked cake layers for a torte. Box mixes are rare and I don't even think there is a Swedish expression for "baking from scratch"... Bc and fondant is very new and considered very sweet!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:53pm
post #38 of 68

Homemade-Goodies -- I lived in the Netherlands for a time too -- such wonderful cookies! (The Dutch brought the term "cookie" to the United States.) You are right, there are so many bakeries, you don't really need to bake.

I love all the fruitcakes you describe: in the US, they'd be called dark and light fruitcakes. They are very old-fashioned but some still make them for Christmas. We also have regional differences in the US, like old-fashioned New England gingerbread, called Election Cake. I have read that comes out of the English tradition. Many cities in the northeast have bakeries run by Italian-American families, so Americans have enjoyed those pastries.

One typical Polish filling is ground poppyseeds and almonds -- when I taste it, I can just "see" my grandmother baking. A lovely memory.

Please keep sharing everyone -- it is wonderful to learn about others, and gather new ideas for our own work.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:10pm
post #39 of 68

I'm really getting a kick out of this thread. This may be nothing but I thought I'd share it.

Years ago (late 70's early 80's) my mom took a Wilton class and I took them last summer. I made her a cake with fondant and she looked at me like I was an alien. She (secretly) told my sister..."what is she thinking? you don't cover cakes with fondant..its just for decorations." I told her it was marshmallow fondant and people use it quite often nowadays and she was still "stand-offish" about it. She said back then you never ever covered them like that. My aunt says the same thing (fellow decorator). So now whenever I make a cake with mmf I tell her its just (melted marshmallows with 10x sugar) and never mention the word fondant around her anymore. Somehow that makes her feel better and she'll eat it. Just like a little kid with food...it's good! tastes just like chicken! LOL Go figure.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #40 of 68

One more thing...I've been reading in here about cakes soaked in syrup or cakes served with syrup. Are we talking like pancake syrup or am I really stupid and missing something?? Just curious..Thanks!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:29pm
post #41 of 68

I was thinking maybe they meant a simple syrup, flavored maybe???? I'm curious too...

bashini Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:43pm
post #42 of 68

What I do is, I chop the fruits a week or two before hand and soak that in brandy, vanilla and almond extracts, rose water and the juices from cherries and ginger root preserves.

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 2:19pm
post #43 of 68

Hey staceyboots
How are you? What is the weather in Bdos like?
I was born in Dominica - WI, but I live in Louisiana. My my my. We need to keep in touch. I am dying to have some cheffets roti ---- LOL.
Please if you need the black cake recipe - let me know. I have my caribbean cooking book. I make a lot of cakes from it too. And you know down there is no box cake. I make all my cakes from scratch.
Take care..... talk to you soon. Enjoy crop over for me too......

Kendi thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:17pm
post #44 of 68

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I was thinking there used to be a Philippine piping technique called "sotas" (or as I called them, "sortas" because mine sorta looked like the picture...icon_rolleyes.gif ) That's considered outdated now, although when done correctly it's really a cool look for a cake. Anyway, the old Wilton Encyclopedias have a lot of the old techniques from around the world -- many of which are coming back.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #45 of 68

kendi25

a chefette roti!!!!!!!...LOL..i'm cracking up!!!

the weather is great...we havent been getting a lot of rain recently just loads of sunshine.

well, i am about to begin my countdown for cropover just now (i.e. going to the gym)

i would love to try out the recipe in your cookbook, please pm it to me!

thanks a million and feel free to keep in touch!!!!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #46 of 68

Hi folks,

Thank you so much for all those around the world that contributed so far. I am also thoroughly enjoying hearing about different kinds of cakes and what is traditional for weddings, etc... I would love to hear more about Black cake. It sounds like, after sitting in rum and port wine for weeks, covered, it would almost be a fermented cake. I bet it is very delicious. Please elaborate if you can!

I just wanted to share, I grew up in California but have lived in Memphis, TN for 4 years. Cake is different here too. A very traditional southern cake, apart from red velvet cake, is Carmel Cake. It is a brown sugar-type cake that is torted thinly, filled with caramel icing (or whipped caramel) and stacked high. Then the entire cake is covered with more caramel.

Anyway, that is my contribution to customary cakes. Please keep sharing, especially those from outside the U.S. !

murf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
murf Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm
post #47 of 68

I don't know about anyone else but I'm learning allsorts from this topic!!
Jenlg - the syrup that I use is for when you want the sponge or madeira to be extra moist. I do the following method - put 250g of sugar and 250ml of water in a pan and bring to the boil stirring until the sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat and leave to cool down then add flavourings such as grated orange peel etc. Use a brush to soak the top of the cake with it. Yum yum!
Eilers - I'm sure you will have seen me at toddlers up until xmas but now the twins go to pre school 5 mornings - yeah!! So more time to cake.... I was going to mention that I thought Bashini was from near me too until I read the post and saw that you obviously know each other!! So much talent in such a small area!!
Oh and another difference is that until I came on here I had never heard of mmf, I thought it must be the equivalent of MDF until I read on......

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

One more thing...I've been reading in here about cakes soaked in syrup or cakes served with syrup. Are we talking like pancake syrup or am I really stupid and missing something?? Just curious..Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

I was thinking maybe they meant a simple syrup, flavored maybe???? I'm curious too...

Simple syrup is a made of equal amounts of sugar and water (for example a cup of each); sugar is dissolved in the water and simmered over low-medium heat until the color of the syrup is golden and it is reduced to about 2/3 to 1/2 of the original amount. It is then removed from the heat and flavored depending on the cake â most common flavoring is rum, but it can be any liquor (I love Kahlua for chocolate cake) or citrus (lemon zest, though it needs to simmer with the water/sugar and then it is strained) or I suppose any extract/essence though Iâve never used the latter. The cooled syrup is generously brushed on the each of the layers/tortes and it has the dual purpose of moistening the cake and enhancing the flavor. Then the cake is assembled as usual.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #49 of 68

Love this thread!

Shisharka, how much of the flavoring is added after it is removed from the heat. Like the Kahlua how much would you add?

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #50 of 68

This is an interesting thread. I am Australian, although have lived in Italy for the last 10 years. My wedding cake was hilarious.. My italian wasn't great when I got married here. (1999)..... and I thought the caterers understood I wanted a tiered cake. (American style.. as they say here)! WELL; it came out.. tiers yes.. but fake paper tiers, with the cake being a thin 'crostata' on the top of each fake tier... and an ugly bunch of flowers plonked on top, in front of us too!!! My husband stared at me, and we both laughed at the monstrosity that was our cake! Here if mothers make cakes., they make the cake, and then just dust icing sugar on top.... no icing/frosting at all. Luckily for me, my cakes are a novelty where I live, because no bakery makes mudcakes... 3D cakes... or cakes covered in fondant!!!

AND I REALLY MISS FRUITCAKE TOO!!! I have wonderful memories of my mother preparing the Christmas cake, weeks in advance, and occasionally soaking it with brandy... that and the Christmas Pudding hanging wrapped in calico!!!

shisharka Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:47pm
post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate

Love this thread!

Shisharka, how much of the flavoring is added after it is removed from the heat. Like the Kahlua how much would you add?

In my world, it is "to taste"... Our friends love Kahlua too, so I may put in as much as 1/3 to 1/2 cup to the 1 cup sugar/1 cup water! Then you can really taste it! icon_smile.gif

The base recipe for 1 cup sugar/1 cup water calls for 2 tbsp rum or the zest of 1 large lemon. Hope that helps!

Can someone please post a good tried-and-true fruitcake, with the whole process of soaking the fruit in brandy? Iâve never had it and would love to try it!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 7:47pm
post #52 of 68

I don't have much to contribute since I am just a good ole southern gal born and raised in the USA. However, my Aussie SIL has introduced me to some wonderful recipes from her homeland like Pavlova (meringue pastry) and ANZAC Biscuits (cookies) that are to die for.

I sure hope this thread keeps going. I am learning so much and I love reading the memories.

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:49pm
post #53 of 68

Oh.. all my relatives love PAVLOVA here... and the mothers were very impressed with it too at my daughter's birthday party!! They thought it was the birthday cake!!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:29pm
post #54 of 68
Quote:
Quote:

Can someone please post a good tried-and-true fruitcake, with the whole process of soaking the fruit in brandy? Iâve never had it and would love to try it!

OK - here you go - it looks like a long process but isn't really.
Fruit cakes give a firm solid foundation for decorating. They keep well and stay firm under the wieght of the fondant. Cakes are best made ahead of time. 3 to 4 weeks is ideal. Store wrapped in paper and clingwrap in airtight container until needed. This gives the cake time to mature, it has a better flavour and will slice well.
In our Aussie summer - if we are doing Xmas Cakes - fruitcakes are the ONLY ones that stand up to the weather - and it means you can start your decorating early Dec or even Nov!!

This mix will fill a 10inch round or a 9inch square tin
Baking time - 4-1/2hours

Ingredients:
2-1/4 pound sultanas
12oz raisins
6oz currants
6oz glace cherries
6oz mixed candied peel
3/4 cup rum, brandy or sherry
12oz butter
2 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
6 eggs
3 tablespoons marmalade
3-1/4 cups plain flour (no raising agent)
1-1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt

Method:
Chop all fruit the same size as a sultana, place in a large basin (glass, china NOT metal) Add rum, brandy or sherry, cover with clingwrap or cloth and stand overnight.
Cream butter until soft, add brown sugar, beat until just combined, add orange and lemon rinds. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, add marmalade. Place creamed mixture into large basin. Add fruit and sifted dry ingredients alternately, mix thoroughly. Place mixture into prepared tins.
Bake in preheated oven 300'F for 1 hour then reduce heat to 275'F for additional 3 and 1/2 hours baking time

Tips :-
To settle mixture into pan before cooking - lift tin up about 8 inches and let it drop sharply onto a firm, hard surface. This ensures that the mixture settles well into the tin. resulting in a good shape for the cake. It also breaks any air bubbles that may form in the mixture.

For smooth top to cake - wet hand and smooth surface of the raw cake mixture before baking.

Make sure tins are lined with at least three layers of paper and the new bake strips on the outside of the tin would greatly help as well.

To test if cake is cooked - at the end of the specified baking time , test to see if cake is cooked. It should be firm to touch before testing. Take the blade of a sharp pointed knife and place into the centre of the cake - avoid testing in any cracked section of cake - If cake is cooked - no trace of cake mixture will be visible on the blade. blade may be moist of slightly sticky - this could come from the mositness of the fruit.

When the cake is cooked, remove from oven brush or sprionkle with 1 or 2 tablespoons of rum, brandy or sherry. Wrap cake, still in its tin. immediately in alfoil, this traps the steam from the heat, so gives a soft top to the cake. Leave until cold, remove cake from tin and store as suggested above.

ENJOY!!!

bashini Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:10am
post #55 of 68

Hi murf, I kind of knew that you have to be around where I live when I saw that you were from Surrey and it was confirmed when I read eilers reply.

Its nice to meet new friends through CC, even though we haven't actualy met.

By the way, your cakes are absolutely beaustiful.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 1:18pm
post #56 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

allydav, as far as I know there is Chocolate mud cake and White Chocolate mud cake.

Ahhh then you have been sadly misled, you can also get Caramel mud cake, dark chocolate mud cake, milk chocolate mud cake, marbled mud cake (any of the afore mentioned varieties marbled together or you can take the white chocolate mud cake further and make it it marbled raspberry or any flavour combination you like! You can make cakes or muffins or downright whatever you want with them for a yummy delicious taste sensation! icon_lol.gif

It's pretty versatile and down right yummy, and I think you'll find most Aussie's think that mud cake is american from the Mississippi Mud cake, but as this has been mentioned in a few threads on here before, we were obviously wrong! icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #57 of 68

Oh thank you so much for that info nicolevoorhout. I only tryed dark cho and white choc mud cakes. Never heard of caramel and marble until now. See, you learn something everyday!

Thanks again!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:01pm
post #58 of 68

Here is the Mississippi Mud Cake recipe that I've used:

1 cup butter softened
2 cups sugar

Cream together until light and fluffy.

Add:

1/4 cup cocoa
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well about one minute.

Add:

1 1/2 cups flour unsifted

Beat on medium 2 minutes.

Fold in:

1 1/2 cups coconut
1 1/2 cups chopped nuts

Mix well, spread in a greased 9x12 pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes then spread with:

1 13 oz. jar of marshmallow creme

Frost with:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup evaporated milk

Melt butter in small saucepan add cocoa and milk, bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
remove from heat and add:

1 lb. powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat until smooth

So Sorry the recipe is in this form-this is copied from a very old newspaper.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #59 of 68

No problem bashini, I didn't want you to miss out! There are so many yummy flavours out there! icon_biggrin.gif

shisharka Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:34am
post #60 of 68

Thanks a lot, ApplegumKitchen!!! Iâm fascinated by this recipe, and looking at the ingredients, Iâm sure Iâm going to love it -- it reminds me of some protein/antioxidant bars that I experimented with some time ago, in which I chopped all the different dried fruit that happened to be in my pantry⦠Granted, sans the brandy, the bars ended up expectedly dry, but thatâs what bars are, not cake!
I had to Google âsultanasâ and âmixed spiceâ to find out what those were â always something to learn â and new ingredients to stock up on⦠Now, hm, what excuse is coming up in the next couple of months to make this cake? icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%