Help! Royal Icing Or Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm by diane

maimai16 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:11am
post #1 of 6

which one do you recommend as the best icing for decorating fondant cakes, royal icing or buttercream especially if i would decorate a day before the event considering our hot climate here in the Philippine?

5 replies
KitchenKat Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:25am
post #2 of 6

Depends on what your design. If it's just borders then either one is fine. For the taste factor, you can use BC, especially stabilized BCs like IMBC or SMBC. But if you're going to make scrolls, cornelli lace or other designs with lots of intricate detail on the face and/or of the cake, then RI.

maimai16 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:21am
post #3 of 6

what do IMBC & SMBC stand for?sorry im new to these acronyms.

KitchenKat Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #4 of 6

Ooops sorry. IMBC - Italian Meringue Buttercream. SMBC - Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

Here's a link to acronyms used in Cakecentral

maimai16 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #5 of 6

what makes these two different from RI?

diane Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 6

royal icing dries very hard. you can eat it, but most do's mainly for decorations. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%