Edible Printing - Just Had To Share

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 3:54am by vickinc

tdybear1978 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 18

Hey everyone, I have been printing edible images for quite a few years now and I have always used kopykake ink and products. I have also always had much problems with things like clogging in my printhead and just a mess of problems concerning the ink, almost every single time I would go to print a picture I would end up having to run a cleaning and test page (which in itself uses a lot of the ink, which is already over priced haha). A good friend of mine said that I should really start using photofrost and she has about 90% less problems with it. So I got some and I have now been using it for over a month and have not had 1 problem at all with any clogging. I have not had to run 1 printhead clean or anything. I personally did not like the photofrost paper but the ink is AMAZING! Just thought that I would share with others who may be interested. www.photofrost.com

17 replies
Chrisl121070 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:15am
post #2 of 18

Thanks for the tip! What printer do you have?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #3 of 18

Yes, I'd like to know that, too. Also, what's the difference in cost?

Molly2 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 18

I just ordered from kopykakes I wish I would have known this soon I have a new epson printer and my ink and suger sheets are in rout

Molly2 icon_cry.gif

flowers40 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:46am
post #5 of 18

I have a epson printer too. I ordered from them about a year ago, and have used the printer a few times, I have not had any problems as of yet, but will try photofrost ink when I to order again. Thanks for the tip.

tdybear1978 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 18

I have a canon I550, yes it is an older model but it has worked excellent for me. For my ink it was very comparable in price, I think maybe a couple of dollars more, but way worth it when I take into account all the kopykake ink I was trying to clean out the clogs from my printhead haha

jessienj Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 18

i have the same printer and have had nothing but problems with the kopykake cartridges. I have all but given up, since the requests are few and far between to use the edible images, so by the time i want to use the printer, it's all clogged and i go through more ink just trying to unclog it. Maybe I'll give photofrost a try.

Chrisl121070 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:04am
post #8 of 18

I was trying to compare the cartridges on that site with the printers, and I don't see cartridges that are compatible with the newer printers. I wish these websites would make it easier to find a matching printer! LOL

Yomomma Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:14am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

I personally did not like the photofrost paper

What is it that you do not like about the the paper?

tdybear1978 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 18

the paper is extremely thin, I know you want it to be thin and everything but it was VERY difficult to get it off of the backing.

Chrisl121070 - if you give them a call she can tell you very quickly, I had a hard time finding mine on there also and she was able to tell me at the snap of a finger icon_smile.gif

bearcreek350 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:22am
post #11 of 18

If you put your edible image in the freezer for a couple of minutes, the paper backing will come off ever so much easier.

tdybear1978 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #12 of 18

I tried that with the photofrost paper and it helped but it softened up a lot faster then the kopykake paper did

bearcreek350 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:30am
post #13 of 18

I guess I have only used the Kopykake sheets, they are kind of thick, so probably easier to handle. I was going to try the thinner sheets, but if you still have a problem after freezing, I think I will stick with what I know works. I would hate to print out a pic and have it tear!! icon_sad.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:35pm
post #14 of 18

with it being so thin once you take it out of the freezer the heat from your hands melts it almost immediatly, have to move very quickly

Arriva Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:13am
post #15 of 18

Guess I've been lucky. Have epson C-88+ and only print about one a month and haven't had a clog yet. Probably the very next time......

vickinc Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:29am
post #16 of 18

I have a Cannon and I use photofrost inks, I do have a problem with clogs... how in the world do you unclog the head?

tdybear1978 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:46am
post #17 of 18

I have ALWAYS had to take the inks out and then take out the printhead and wash it under hot water and I spray it with the sprayer and then let it soak for a long time in hot soapy water, then take out and rinse off again (hoping that it will help to soften the clog) and then I put everything back together again and run a couple of tests and hope it works, if not then repeat the whole process again. Now this is the problem that i have had with the kopykake inks, since I have had the photofrost inks I have not had one problem (about 2 months now) and it is so nice not having to deal with that mess

vickinc Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:54am
post #18 of 18

I will definately do this... I was out of a couple of inks so I ordered and replaced the cartridges... It had been some time since I had printed one and found I have a clogged head. I printed for a long time with no problems, I should have taken out the cartridges after some time went by, but laziness set in and I forgot about it. Now I have a mess.icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%