Best Cake For Sculpting?

Decorating By dmq1298 Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm by lchristi27

dmq1298 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmq1298 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

I am entering The Midatlantic Cake show and making a sculpted cake. I have done a few in the past, but since it doesn't matter what it tastes like, I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of cake was easiest to sculpt? Thanks Donna

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 5

A good, dense, simple, dry pound cake will be your best friend. I don't have a recipe for one, but I spent 2 days at the FoodNetwork Challenge recently and that is what most, if not all, of the competitors who sculpt cakes used.

HTH
Rae

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 5

If it's a competition sculpture and no one is going to eat it, I use boxed pound cake mixes. Cheap, dense and easy to work with. I also leave them out on the counter to get stale for a day or so, BUT THAT IS ONLY FOR THE COMPETITION CAKES that no one will eat. You don't want a competition piece settling in transit.

Deanna

dmq1298 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmq1298 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, I will go out tonight and get box mixes. I usually make all my cakes from scratch, but boxes are soooooo much easier. And I will definatly let them sit out to dry! Thanks again Donna icon_biggrin.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 5

This recipe works really well too:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

I used this for the Michigan cake in my pictures, it was really easy to carve and produced little crumbing.

Let us know when you win first place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%