"no One Would Know The Difference"

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm by jackie64

CakeMommyTX Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 14

I caught the tale end of a commercial today (no clue what channel), that suggested to brides that to save money they skip the "custom cake shops" and get a cake from their local grocery store, slap some fresh flowers on it and "no one would know the difference"???
I'm all for the free samples of dried out cake they have at the bakery but would'nt a better suggestion be to skip the horse drawn replica of Cinderella's carriage and the release of 1000 doves into the sunset in order to save a few bucks?

13 replies
ccr03 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 14

Now yourstulytx, don't you know that a marriage will only last IF you have the 1000 doves! Com'on! Everyone knows that!

Yeah, I just read on a yahoo board that this chick was going to buy a half sheet, 1/3 sheet and 1/4 sheet cakes and use them for a 3-tier cake - you know just use straws or dowels for support. It was only going to cost her a whopping $50! yeah, I'll all about having reasonable prices, but you SO would be paying for what you get on that one!

Sarsi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 14

LOL!! That's too funny!!! I can see what they're saying, but still...walmart cake is just gross!!!

busymom9431 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 14

I would love to see the look on the guests faces when the see that "wedding cake" of sheet cakes stacked or not stacked since she is only using straws. HA-That would be good!

awolf24 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 14

OK, you would immediately TASTE the difference if the bride took the time or cared to compare. But since discovering CC, I am an admitted cake snob. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for (if you are a smart shopper), and cake taste isn't that important to everyone. To some, cake is cake, but we know better! I'd never serve grocery store cake to my wedding guests but if that is all you are willing to pay for but that is a matter of personal choice. icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 14

Ya I'm all for cutting corners, I buy my meats in bulk and divide them up and freeze them, but I don't but buy ground beef and try to pass it off as t-bone steaks either.

cakedout Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 14

the thing that gets my panties in a knot is that fact that little miss cheapie bride that uses those horrid sheet cakes as her tiered cake, is probably the one that is spending $8,000. on a designer gown, and hundreds on designer guests books and ring pillows that no one will really see, and thousands on flowers and imported cheese!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 14

what gets me is that if you can't afford a lavish wedding, then don't plan one, you know? if you can't afford to invite 300 of your "closest friends and family members", then don't. it's annoying when they WANT a lavish wedding with the designer gown and the custom made cake and the doves and the carriage and the amazing sunset view but they DONT WANT TO PAY FOR IT.

if i had the money i'd do all that (or maybe i'd just spend that on our honeymoon) but since I don't and can't afford a wedding like that then i'll just be fine with a small wedding and reception. I'm even open to elope to Vegas. which is something my bf and I will probably do. LOL

CNCS Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 14

8000 for a designer gown!!!!!

That would make a good down payment on something useful. OR pay bills.

costumeczar Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 14

(First, let me say I'm a cake snob, so I have to make that disclaimer!) Some people are just cheap and don't care, and some just have no idea that there's anything better out there. I think that people are so used to mediocre food in general these days (think about all of the chain restaurants that are around that serve the same reheated food that every other chain serves) they don't know the difference between good cake and crap. If you get all of your cakes at the discount store, then you think that's normal. I was arguing about this with another "baker" (sarcasm) in my area, and she insisted that nobody would know the difference between good and bad cake, so it didn't matter. I asked her, if she paid to go on a culinary pastry tour of Europe, would she be satisfied if they brought out the frozen pastries and reheated them because it didn't matter? Of course she said no, but I think she still bakes bad cakes. icon_twisted.gif

doreenre Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 14

Brides think this way because "it's just cake", not realizing that at the reception, the cake is the focal point. Naturally, aside from the bride, it's what people are drawn to.

No one care's that she's wearing an $8,000 designer gown or if it's $125 from David's Bridal. And people are more likely to talk about the feather's and bird poop from all those freakin' doves.

Auryn Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 14

costumeczar
I think you hit the nail on the head.

People are used to mediocre/bad food here in the US.
Thats why when people travel to Europe or other parts of the world they come back raving about the food.

If you don't have a palate where you can discern the difference between good and bad, you don't care.

lchristi27 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenre

And people are more likely to talk about the feather's and bird poop from all those freakin' doves.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
But if it falls into the wal-mart cake could anyone taste a difference?

jackie64 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 14

Yeah this stuff gets to me too. If I could afford a $8000 dress I dont think I would be so tacky to buy a walmart cake and serve my guests . To me that is just so cheap and tacky . Im not knocking someone that really cannot afford to put alot of money into a cake and has to go to walmart I understand some brides have to do that .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%