Candy Molds For Gumpaste??

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 1:34am by gscout73

janebrophy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 15

I have some celtic cross candy molds that I want to fill with gumpaste to use on a cake. Can I do this?? I think I'm losing some of the detail in the process. Anything I can paint them with to make them shiny? I'm doing this on short notice, and have only got Wilton brand items available. Any tips appreciated!!
Jane

14 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 15

Yes - you can use the molds. I lightly grease the mold with shortening (using a paint brush), and dust the gumpaste with cornstarch and insert into the mold. This is the only way I've found I can get it out cleanly (someone else may have a better way).

If you want to make it shiny and not change the color, use glaze.

janebrophy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks so much! I have one more question, what would this glaze be made of? icon_cry.gif

snowshoe1 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 15

Its confectioners glaze I'm referring to. I don't know if you can make it but you can purchase a bottle at cake shops or on the web.

http://www.intotheoven.com/p1250/8-oz-Confectioner&%2339;s-Glaze/product_info.html

janebrophy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks again!

kwalsh4 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 15

I use candy molds with fondant also. I just pop them in the freezer for about 5 ot 10 minutes and then turn them over and tap them on the counter and they come out great.

snowshoe1 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalsh4

I use candy molds with fondant also. I just pop them in the freezer for about 5 ot 10 minutes and then turn them over and tap them on the counter and they come out great.

Oh! I like that idea much better - no mold preparation!

aundrea Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 15

you dont need to prep the molds when using fondant?
i may try that this week-end.
thanks!

MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 15

You can also dust the mold with cornstarch.

The confectioners glaze smells like paint thinner and leaves drips (dried) if you're not careful. I used it for a grand piano cake and some got on my table - it doesn't come off with water, I had to use confectioners glaze thinner to get it off.

I prefer to use piping gel for small projects.

kwalsh4 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 15

I should have added that before I put the fondant in the mold I put a little crisco in them so they come out easy. Sorry.

aundron Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:38pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalsh4

That is an awesome idea!! I've got to do that tonight!!

janebrophy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 15

The freezer idea sounds great!

Macsmom, if I brush these with piping gel, will it make them glossy?

What I'd really like to do is make them white, and "antique" them somehow?? Any guesses?

MacsMom Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 15

Antiquing is easy! Mix brown or whatever color food color with a small amount of vodka or extract, brush on, and wipe off the excess!

janebrophy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 15

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I am so excited! Thank you so much for all the info! I love this website so much! Since it is last minute, and I live in the middle of nowhere icon_lol.gif , I thought I would be out of luck as far as supplies go!
Glad to know what I have on hand will do the job!
Thanks again!

gscout73 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #15 of 15

I'm using candy molds to make life like sea shells and using fondant. I'm making them shiny by dusting with pearl dust and they are coming out great!! I will post a pic as soon as I get back home ( currently in PA visiting my 92 yr old grandmother.) icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%