Just A Little Bit Miffed

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm by misha35

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 14

Let me get this out...I got a phone call yesterday from someone who asked me to make a cake for a co-worker.
Side note to say that the cake needs to be ready before 8 am on 11 April, so technically the cake has to be finished by tomorrow night.
Interesting thing, is that the person asking me to make the cake, also knows how to make cakes, but doesn't have the time.
I thought about it, and said okay since I had the time. I'm a bit miffed though b/c during the conversation I am told "Don't go to that great of detail, b/c I don't want my co-worker going around work saying look at the cake that ____ made".

I would hope that if somone asks me to make a cake, that they would not knowingly accept any compliments/assumptions that they made the cake, but would correct the issue by saying "Actually I didn't make the cake, a friend of mine made it".

I don't want to make a cake, and then someone else take the credit for it. At the same time, I want to deliver a decent cake. This just bugs me for some reason.

13 replies
jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 14

WOW, I am sure if she were asked to do that she would not skimp on the detail. That to me takes nerve. I say GIVE EM WHAT YOU GOT.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 14

LOL Yeah, I'd be the one to go way over the top with it, doing detail the customer doesn't know how to do, just so that she could stutter when someone asks her how she did it!

*stepping off my throne of meanness now*

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #4 of 14

and dont forget to stick down a business card on the underside of the board and a couple under the cake, so they are revealed as the cake is served.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:07am
post #5 of 14

I agree with the other posts. Give it all you got. I would put a min of 5 cards on the board under the cake and 1 on the bottom. The bottom is to fool her into thinking there is only one card. 4 around the sides and one in the middle. I would love to see how she tries to cover all the cards. She will probably try to pass it off as hers.

Good luck with the cake.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:18am
post #6 of 14

Please update me about the cake. I saw the other the other thread. I just gotta know what happened. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_evil.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 14

I don't get it, she wants you to make a C***Y looking cake so the recipient doesn't go around bragging about how great the cake looks? Because she doesn't want the credit to take any orders on this?

I don't get it, so she hires you? I wouldn't pull her cookies out of the fire.

It sounds like she has poor time management skills.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 14

Okay - fess up - what is the "other thread" ElectricCook mentioned? icon_smile.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 14

I had one lady order her son's BD cake from me. In the process of getting all her info, she told me that she decorates cakes and usually did her children's cakes but didn't have time this year. I made the cake, delivered it and then thought..."I bet she tells everyone that she made it".

When the cake was brought out, someone said "Pam made that cake...I would know her cakes anywhere." So do a good job and people will notice YOUR technique. This was a few years ago and business has been growing ever since.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 14

Just because she wants a cake from you does absolutely NOT mean you have to make one.

Say no.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 14

Say, you DO have chutzpah! icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:17pm
post #12 of 14

shucks darlin', mah chutzpah is bigger'n Tayuksus!!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:19pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Okay - fess up - what is the "other thread" ElectricCook mentioned? icon_smile.gif

This was the other thread -in regard to the cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5886120-.html#5886120

So what happened was simply, I took the cake to her house, and I explain that b/c I didn't hear from her in time, some of the cake would look "storebought" - and I open up the box to show her, and all the sudden "Oh that's neat" icon_confused.gif I can't figure it out, one moment it's all "It must look homemade" then the next "oh how neat, blah blah" - so double minded -drives me nuts.

Oh and I don't have business cards, as this is more of a hobby, that hopefully one day might turn into a business.

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 14

i really like the idea of putting a "by so N so" under the cake. i just bake for friends & family & sometines make for work pitch-ins. I'll have to use this idea in the future. Thanks,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%