Wedding Cake Plateau Question!

Business By Anna31 Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 11:45am by yummymummy

Anna31 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 11

My cake business is really taking off! I'm getting allot of weddings and am thinking about investing in one of those silver plated plateaus. My question is what size and shape should I get? The biggest bottom tier I'm doing right now is 14". I do round and square. Should I get a square or a round one? would a round cake look dumb on a square stand? I would like to have both round and square eventually but can't afford to buy them both at once. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Anna

10 replies
ccr03 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 11

Well, what's more popular for you - round or square cakes?

awolf24 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 11

Your cakes are beautiful - I was just peeking at your gallery. That is great news that you are getting a lot of business. Just as ccr03 posted, I was going to ask which is more popular for you and I would invest in that shape plateau first. I do think round looks better on round and square on square.

I see quite a few round wedding cakes in your gallery so maybe you would want to go that route first - at least 16" if not 18". I know that the cake plateaus can get expensive. Do you have any places near you where you could rent a square one in the meantime?

Anna31 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:33am
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the nice compliments! You are right, I do make more round ones. I have a huge wedding coming up the end of May though and that one is a square. So I was kind of thinking I'd like to get one in time to use it for that. But I don't even know if the bride would want to use it. You DO charge a rental fee for them right???? If you do, how much do YOU charge? I was thinking $50.00. Sound about right?

Thanks! Anna

cakesondemand Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:15am
post #5 of 11

I have a 16" and 21" rent out the 16" all the time and only once for the 21" I also have a square and it rented out 1 time.

Erdica Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:13am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna31

You DO charge a rental fee for them right???? If you do, how much do YOU charge? I was thinking $50.00. Sound about right?

Thanks! Anna

I had this same question about rental fee for the bride and groom. Some of those stands are expensive. Even off of Ebay or whatever.

Ursula40 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:24am
post #7 of 11

If those things are so sive you could in theory charge the whole price as a deposit and when they return the plateau deduct the rental fee from the deposit. I charge that for my cakeboards, as I use reusable ones. If the client doesn't return it, at least I'm not out of any money. Funnily enough, once I started that, I got most of them back, weird huh? Before that everyone swore they'd return it and half of them didn't

Ursula40 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:24am
post #8 of 11

If those things are so sive you could in theory charge the whole price as a deposit and when they return the plateau deduct the rental fee from the deposit. I charge that for my cakeboards, as I use reusable ones. If the client doesn't return it, at least I'm not out of any money. Funnily enough, once I started that, I got most of them back, weird huh? Before that everyone swore they'd return it and half of them didn't

Ursula40 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:25am
post #9 of 11

If those things are so expensive you could in theory charge the whole price as a deposit and when they return the plateau deduct the rental fee from the deposit. I charge that for my cakeboards, as I use reusable ones. If the client doesn't return it, at least I'm not out of any money. Funnily enough, once I started that, I got most of them back, weird huh? Before that everyone swore they'd return it and half of them didn't

KHalstead Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:34am
post #10 of 11

that's what I would do (if I could afford a plateau) charge a rental fee of whatever $20.00 but charge a deposit that covers the entire cost of the plateau INCLUDING SHIPPING if you're ordering it online. If you have to replace that puppy you don't wanna be out ONE cent!! Then when they return it by the return date in good shape they receive their money back minus the rental fee!

yummymummy Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 11:45am
post #11 of 11

I'm ordering my first plateau this week. I'm charging what it would cost for me to replace it. If I bought it for $50 then I'm charging a $50 deposit. afterall, if they don't return it, you'll be up the creek if you only charged them $20 for a $50 plateau. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%