30Th Birthday Cake With Funeral Theme

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 1:34am by sjmoral

sjmoral Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 7

How do I aproach this? I thought of a coffin but it's too spooky for a 30 yr old birthday party and we have a friend who passed away last year so I think it's innaproapriate.... This was the husband's request and I can aproach it however I want, any suggestions???
He wants me to write "We are sorry for the loss of your twenty years" which doesn't even sound right to me...
This is for FRIDAY!!!! any ideas, help please???

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 7

I have seen - oh ya even made one - casket cakes - cute idea if that is what they asked for.
Another way is one foot in the grave.......make a couple of mounds of cake/icing in brown - one open if you like (black w/brown around it)....candy-mold or pipe a foot or couple of them right at the edge of the grave.
Another customer idea I used once -- 'gone w/the wind' a fs pic of bhrett & ?? from gone w/the wind piture and piped 'your 40s are GWTW. They loved it.
I'll see if I can dig up my pix...but don't think I have those anymore.

kakeladi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 7

I tried to edit my post but the page won't load right so there is no way to send it. This has some tyop fixes and a bit more info.

have seen - oh ya even made one - casket cakes - cute idea if that is what they asked for.
Another way is one foot in the grave.......make a couple of mounds of cake/icing in brown - one open if you like (black w/brown around it)....candy-mold or pipe a foot or couple of them right at the edge of the grave.
Another customer idea I used once -- 'gone w/the wind' a fs pic of bhrett & ?? from gone w/the wind piture and piped 'your 40s are GWTW. They loved it.
One more idea I've used - a tombstone w/'here lies Mary's youth'. This is made up of a sheet cake w/half of a round; iced/airbrushed grey.
I'll see if I can dig up my pix...but don't think I have those anymore.

KitchenKat Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #4 of 7

How morbid! If my husband ever gets a cake like this for me I'd throw a hissy fit...then I'd crawl somewhere and cry!

My thoughts: Did he specifically ask for a coffin? If there's flexibility and that's exactly the message he wants, instead of a funeral theme I'd do a lost and found theme. A sheet cake on top of which is a lost and found counter made of carved and covered cake, dowels and gumpaste or fondant. Behind the counter is a fondant person (i can see her looking like a wrinkly, bleached blonde saggy boobed hag). There's a speech bubble on her (gumpaste on wire) saying "I'm sorry for the loss of your 20 years" In front of the counter, the customer would be a fondant lady modeled to resemble your friend looking shocked.

If the cake you're making isn't too big, then it could also work on a smaller cake but made the counter out of fondant as well.

gscout73 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #5 of 7

I haven't made a coffin cake. But I have made a tombstone cake that even had black roses. It was great. I just can't get the pic uploaded. The recipient was the jokester of the family who was always pranking family members over the years, so it was the family's opportunity to turn the tables on her. It was given to her during a large family dinner at restaurant and I was told she loved it.

annacakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:24am
post #6 of 7

I agree the coffin might be in poor taste so soon after the recent funeral.

However, a tombstone is a good idea. Did one couple of years. Big slab cake carved like a tombstone with skull at top centre, - no dates - first line said "R.I.P." and underneath "Here lies Kelvin's Youth". Its in my photos.

sjmoral Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 1:34am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the ideas. I rented the tomb pan that will says OVER THE HILL and bought a candle that reads HERE LIES MY YOUTH and the number 30 underneath. Still not knowing how many people... I will do the tomb on top of another cake (not sure yet the size I'll use).
Thanks for the ideas.
Sheila

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%