"unless You Want To Sell Them For Less?!!!"

Decorating By mommachris Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm by vteventrider

mommachris Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 50

I make cake truffles for this little old lady who volunteers at the hospital with my dd. Since I'm not in business..no time for it with eight kids that I have homeschooling and pregnant with #9....I only charge her for the ingredients.
Well for two years she had been getting them for $5 a dozen in pretty boxes.

This week she called me up. " Can you make me 8 dozen as my friends just love them."
I had had a conversation with dh about how expensive everything had gotten so I needed to charge more or I'd be losing money.
So I tell her that they are now $6 per dozen. ( that is 10 cents more per candy)
She gets all flustered..."I'll have to ask if they still want to buy them."
When she calls me back she said that it was too much but she would still like a dozen for herself. And here comes the kicker..."unless you want to sell them for less?"
I grit my teeth and say that the ingredients cost what they cost and I can't sell them for less. icon_eek.gif
Once I hung up, I got both mad and dumbfounded.
Guess she wanted me to make them using my grocery budget. Hey, my kids have to eat, lady! I wasn't even charging her for my time! icon_rolleyes.gif

The kicker is she never picked up her dozen and I feel stupid for having turned on my oven for such a small order. It's a good thing my dh likes truffles. icon_smile.gif

people still amaze me.

mommachris

49 replies
diane Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 50

there's always gonna be people who want to take advantage of you. they just don't get it...ingredients cost money...and the time it takes also costs. i wouldn't deal with her anymore. she needs to go to walmart or somewhere cheap! icon_confused.gif

deanwithana Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 50

It certainly sounds as though you have your hands full with not much extra time to spare.........the next time she calls, I would just be very busy!!!! She would have had the last "at cost" cake truffle from me!!!

mommachris Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 50

The worst part is that one of the other hospital volunteers tells me that Winnie is hugely rich as her husband left her tons of money.
So why is she nickel and diming me if money isn't a big deal to her. Sheesh!
She can find another girl to take advantage of, I'm done.
If she wants truffles she can buy them at the annual bake sale like everyone else.
mommachris

melysa Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 50

walmart wouldnt even sell them that cheap.

your time (oh my goodness!) , especially with 8 and a half (lol) kids is WAY to precious to be spending on that kind of thing. obviously you are kind, and that is a wonderful trait, but sometimes we have to think about being kind to ourselves and family! its a sacrifice for everyone in your household when you do time consuming things for other people (for free) rather than doing a load of wash or cooking dinner etc... need i go on? i have THREE kids and constantly have a million things to do at my house.

i'd take a break from the "business" . give her the recipe for 5 bucks and she can make her own from now on and then perhaps she'll realize how kind you have been to do this, as well as how expensive it can get. i doubt she's considered the time you give up to do this, most people think cake is so cheap (a box mix for 89 cents and bang its done) that your time is probably already figured in. (20 minutes right? it couldnt possibly take longer).

put your pregnant feet up honey and relax icon_smile.gif

darandon Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 50

it amazes me when people get something for basically minimal cost and then complain when the price goes up. I wonder if she complains at the grocery store when they raise their prices. I'm with you that she gets no more "freebies".

yummymummy Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 50

First of all, let me say Congratualtions on baby #9! I have 5 children myself and people think I'm nuts! I think big families are wonderful...so way to go mom!

As far as this woman, she should be happy and appreciative you didn't charge her more in the first place! You're a very busy woman, as I well know, and can't afford to be taken advantage of. Let her stew for a while w/o her truffles and watch her come crawing back willing to pay, then raise your price again! icon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 50

wowowowow #9 on the way, now you are one AMAZING woman and you home school and you bake for no profit... good on you for the homeschooling, we should tickle you for the no profit... but then again, if it is a passion and you don't mind doing it, then still good on you. I think you handled whiney whinnie correctly..... you have to put them in their place sometimes because they think it is so cheap.... so good for you sticking to your guns.... and lucky for your DH... go ahead give that little bun in the oven a truffle too icon_smile.gif Good luck to you on your 9th blessing.... God is so good!

Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 50

Yes...this attitude burns me!! I am so tired of trying to justify why I charge what I charge...I feel like saying to them"Do you want to work for $5.00 an hour?" "I don't".."I won't"

BARBARAJEAN Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 50

For about 6 years I made Birthday cakes for the elderly in a housing unit in the town I grew up in. I loved doing it, and it made me feel good about myself. This year because of how expensive everything has gotten I have had to "resign". I just said that perhaps someone else would like the privilege of working in this capacity. I think you may have to say something like that. You have been kind and giving of yourself and your talents and now someone else can have this experience. Try not to get a bad taste in your mouth about how other people act, and maybe at some other point in your life, you can do it again if you want. Try not to regret being kind and loving just because someone else is greedy. Look at the great example you have been to your kids.

melysa Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARBARAJEAN

Try not to regret being kind and loving just because someone else is greedy. Look at the great example you have been to your kids.

said with such grace!

sassycleo Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Quote:

i doubt she's considered the time you give up to do this, most people think cake is so cheap (a box mix for 89 cents and bang its done) that your time is probably already figured in.

Even that statement isn't true anymore you used to be able to get the mix at Walmart for that price but they've recently raised their prices to I believe 96 cents for the one brand and a dollar or dollar something for the others.

The statement people have no clue is just false - the fact is they know , try to bury their head in the sand and play stupid. They figure that way they will get buy with taking advantage of you and not feel guilty.

MommaChris - she may in fact have been left with a boat load of money - but the only way she is going to keep it is try to get one over on nice people like yourself.

It's unfortunate it really is but these people have always existed and will continue to do so as long as we let them.

JoanneK Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:57pm
post #13 of 50

I'm still in shocked to read you have 8 kids and another one on the way and you still sound like you are a sane and normal person. I would have gone crazy by now icon_lol.gif

But really, how do you have any time to bake for free? Heck I don't have any kids, just my two dogs and I don't have the time to bake for free!

Not only do you have 8 and almost 9 kids but you home school them?????

I am so impressed by you. thumbs_up.gif Do you have any tips to share on where you get your energy? Now if you could bottle that you would be rich!!!!

Oh and I would have told off that lady. How dare her not even show to get her order.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #14 of 50

You could always do what big manufacturers do.

Example -

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the amount of stuff in a Double-Stuffed Oreo is less than it was two years ago. I used to make chocolate covered oreos on sticks, and the stick would just fit between the cookies. Now, it pushes the cookie apart. Comparing the regular Oreos to the new Double-Stuffed, there isn't that much difference anymore (And, the regulars look thinner, too!).

In other words, if she wants to pay $5.00, she only gets 10 pieces.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

HBcakes Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 50

That's pretty nervy to first make a comment like that about the price, then order some for herself and not even show to pick them up! I think you're better off letting that one go now too, and concentrate on all you have to concentrate on already!

And I love hearing about other large families! My kids just turned 4,3,1, and we'll be trying (we don't really have to 'try' icon_rolleyes.gif ) to get pregnant again next month. Between them and work and cakes and life, my head is pretty full- BIG kudos to you for doing what you do!!

TheButterWench Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 50

Ha, I'm sure she was going to sell them to her friends for 2x's that much. If she calls you again for another order you tell her oh , that's $12.00. The $6.00 for this dozen and the other $6.00 for the dozen I made you that you never picked up.

I'm saddened because she may be getting up there in age and maybe forgetting to get her candy is part of her aging process, but you need to not only show your children kidness and respect for the elderly, but how to be strong individuals that will stand for their rights.

Bless you and your large family, that "job" will be the most rewardingly challenging job you will ever have.

on another note, I just raised my prices too. I have been sitting here with practically no orders and I raised my 1/8 of a sheet from 28 dollars to a full 30

and just decided to charge $5.00 per person for fondant sculpted cakes and I'm just amazed that I have 3 orders for this weekend alone and my phone was ringing off the hook all day on Tuesday.

I got invited to a free showcase/networking event in the Ritzy part of town and I just had a Wedding Coordinator email me.

Wow.

I kept my delivery charges the same as I'm not getting requests for that at the moment and gas has just gone down like 20 + cents a gallon.

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:14pm
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

You could always do what big manufacturers do.

Example -

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the amount of stuff in a Double-Stuffed Oreo is less than it was two years ago. I used to make chocolate covered oreos on sticks, and the stick would just fit between the cookies. Now, it pushes the cookie apart. Comparing the regular Oreos to the new Double-Stuffed, there isn't that much difference anymore (And, the regulars look thinner, too!).

In other words, if she wants to pay $5.00, she only gets 10 pieces.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Calling all other "older" CC'ers!!! Remember the price freeze during the Nixon administration? I was a kid but I remember all (and I mean ALL!) the moms complaining about how "....the price is the same but the box of soap is lots smaller!" and how they complained because "those big companies are just getting by with it!"

And remember when a McDonald's hamburger pattie actually went to the edge of the bun? And the ham (or canadian bacon ... whatever you call it!) on the McMuffin was NOT paper thin and also went to the edge of the muffin.

Oh yeah ... it's happening all over the place!

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #18 of 50

Older??? Ouch, that hurts!!! (just kidding, I'm 51 and not afraid to say it).
I was in my late teens when all those price freezes were going on. And going to school in the dark and starting classes while the sun was coming up, because they changed the clocks to conserve energy. Suddenly, after the price rising of petroleum products due to the "oil shortage," there was a shortage of sugar, paper, coffee, dairy and meat products. The price of fish skyrocketed because people switched from red meats, and tea was suddenly a staple in many homes.

Don'tcha they would freeze those prices now, huh?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

michellenj Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:35pm
post #19 of 50

Is it even worth it to do the one box for her? I find the cake truffles to be yummy but SO time intensive that it's not worth it to make them in small amounts. If they have a problem with my minimum order, that's okay, then I won't have to feel PO'd at myself for wasting my time and probably losing $$.

Denise Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:37pm
post #20 of 50

I would say little old lady has enough nerve for 4 people. Surely she realized what a great bargain she was getting? She shops - she know. She was just taking advantage of you.

I would not do anything at cost for anyone unless they are

1. My very best friend - they are tit for tat on anything I do for them!
2. For my church
3. For my MOM - she does everything for me.

Melvira Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #21 of 50

That's called marketing... don't change the price, change the size or quality! Very crafty... and somewhat disgusting at times. icon_rolleyes.gif

Mommachris... you are a hero! (Or incredibly insane... I've yet to figure it out! Hehehe!) Once I finally decided to start my family, I knew it was a good thing I had waited so long! I would be right with you, preggers with #10 or so! I love it! But I'd be on my third husband I suppose because my guy thinks 2 is perfect. Poor man... he's got a lot to learn. I am almost positive I can squeeze in one more before I'm totally satisfied! Hehehe! icon_lol.gif

I'm always surprised by 'cheapos'. I did an order this past weekend and did everything possible to give her a great price because she was DHs coworker and she was ordering a lot... then I found out (afterward) that she spent $5000 on everything else FOR A FIRST BIRTHDAY PARTY!!! WHAT?!?!?! I should've just charged her my regular retail!! Ergh!

terrig007 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #22 of 50

Wow congrats on # 9! How lucky you are. I was only able to have one and we've adopted one. How I would love to have some more but I digress.
I agree about not doing anything for cost unless it's a very good friend or a close family member-I wouldn't do anything for costs for some members of my family icon_smile.gif .

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 7:08pm
post #23 of 50

We're all forgetting the "old people" factor. Older people just can't seem to keep up with the times as far as pricing goes. Even tho' they buy the same gas and the same groceries that we do.

My in-laws, god luv 'em, went out for dinner one night and MIL was shocked because the meal for two of them came to (GASP!) FIFTEEN DOLLARS!!!!!

How many of us have aunts and gramma's that give us $3 or $5 in our birthday card and tell us to "get yourself something nice!"

god luv 'em!!!

darandon Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

How many of us have aunts and gramma's that give us $3 or $5 in our birthday card and tell us to "get yourself something nice!"

god luv 'em!!!

I still get my $5 birthday money from my Grandma. I'm 43 now. She knows it not alot but knows it wouldn't be my birthday without my $5. icon_biggrin.gif. She forgot once and I think I pouted for a month

Melvira Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:53pm
post #25 of 50
Quote:

Waaahhhhh! icon_cry.gif I miss my gramma!!! She used to give $10... even when I was making the big bucks, I still loved getting that from her. And there was always a letter in thanks that outlined exactly what I bought with her 'mad money'. icon_wink.gif God bless her loving soul!!

But has anyone else noticed that Indy thinks she's old? She's gotta shut up with that stuff.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:01pm
post #26 of 50

Oh, yeah, right she's old. She was still playing hopscotch when I was in college!

IndyDebi -

You know you're old when you stop coloring your hair because you're really starting to dig the gray streaks that have grown in at your temples! Mine are just so 1960's! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I haven't had a grandma for a very, very long time. All of you who still have your grandmas and grandpops, and moms and dads, cherish them every day. You have no idea how painful it is when they are all gone, like mine. I'm so jealous of all of you!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #27 of 50

[quote="Melvira"]

Quote:

But has anyone else noticed that Indy thinks she's old? She's gotta shut up with that stuff.

Yeah, but I LOVE being old! You can get by with saying so much more stuff and people blow you off because 'Eh....she's just old!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And I'm surrounded by children more and more everyday. If the only thing you can think of, when someone says "Who is Vincent Price?" .... if the only thing you can think of "he's the voice on Michael Jackson's Thriller album" .... then you ARE a kid!!! (I actually had this conversation this morning!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #28 of 50

Hahaha Indy! Touche!!

Personally I'm working on figuring out how to be rich so that when I'm good and old people will refer to me respectfully as 'the eccentric mature woman down the block' instead of "You know... that cooky old bat across town!" icon_lol.gif

And Theresa, three cheers to what you said! My last living grandparents are in their 90's and starting to fail more and more each day. I cherish them, and see them/talk to them as much as humanly possible because when they're gone, they're gone. You just can't go back. And they are truly a wealth of information and family history/heritage. It's better than a book... I just love to listen to them tell stories!

itsacake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 9:46pm
post #29 of 50

Indydebi, please don't say old. I'm older than playingwithsugar who is older than you are, so that would make me ancient! OUCH! icon_biggrin.gif
I do remember those days of the price freeze. I think gas may have gone all the way up to 33 cents! gasp!

Melvira, get your grandparents to write down their memories or take videos or recordings where you interview them so you will have the family history to tell your children. And if you have old photos be sure to get them to help you write down on the backs who everyone is so that when they are gone you won't be wondering who those people were. We did some of that, but never enough. I miss my parents and grandparents and when I have questions about family history there is no one left to ask.....it makes me sad.

MichelleM77 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #30 of 50

I was talking to my mom today about "indydebi and business stuff" (she retired about a year ago and is my part-time baker) and she said that you probably remember when margarine came in some type of tub/bag with a little dye pack that you had to break and knead in the margarine to make it "yellow like butter." Ew. LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%