Hi-Ratio Shortening-What Is It??????????????

Decorating By ALVARGA Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm by foxymomma521

ALVARGA Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 10

I have seen frosting recipes that call for hi-ratio shortening. What is it?
I use the regular Crisco and sometimes the Kroger brand. Are these hi-ratio?

9 replies
MYCHEFTX Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 10

hI ,

High ratio shortening has added emulsifers to it to be used with recipes that contain a larger proportion of liquid in the batter. Regular shortening wont work ,it will not be able to hold all the liquid and keep it emulsifed in the batter and your batter will curdle or separate. You can usually find this product thru a commercial vendor called icing shortening or as it called high ratio shortening.

Hope I helped,
cindy

tonimarie Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:03am
post #3 of 10

I was wondering the same thing. I also always use regular crisco, and it has always worked fine. Wondering if it makes the texture or taste different icon_confused.gif

JanH Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:54am
post #4 of 10

There's no difference in the taste (just as bland as Crisco), texture might be a tad firmer.

As MYCHEFTX said, the difference between Crisco and hi-ratio shortening is in the performance of the b/c made with it.

Hi-ratio shortening is Crisco on steroids - more emulsifiers, etc. so it can absorb more liquid without breaking down.

Everything you ever wanted to know about hi-ratio shortening:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-219731-.html

HTH

ericablondegirl Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:07am
post #5 of 10

I used Sweetex brand of high-ratio sortening in my buttercream icing and there was a noticable difference from Crisco. It enhanced the flavor and definately the texture. I will order more so I have it on hand and, in a pinch will revert back to Crisco...but I really like it...I suggest giving it a try.

tonimarie Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 10

where would I buy Sweetex from? I live in rural montana, so it would have to be on the internet somewhere.......... thank you icon_biggrin.gif

vteventrider Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 10

I have used store brand shortening (with trans-fats) in a pinch but there is a difference in taste to me. With the store brand it seems to coat my mouth in a greasy feel and the hi-ratio does not. Maybe it is just a taste preference with my DH and me.

sweetneice Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #8 of 10

I just tried using the HI RATIO shortening about 2months ago, and I LOVE IT! I did notice a difference in the texture of my frosting, and the taste was better to me in my opinion, and everybody else's that has tasted a crisco based icing recipe. I will never go back to using crisco again, that is unless they run out of Hi ratio! icon_lol.gif

tonimarie Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 10

I found Sweetex online at Global Sugar Art for anyone interested. Can't wait to try it out!

foxymomma521 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 10

I just hi-ratio for the first time over the weekend... OMG, I'll NEVER go back. I was finally able to completely smooth my icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%