How Do I Put Monogram Initials On The Cake

Decorating By Debbie56 Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm by Debbie56

Debbie56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie56 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to do a baby shower cake using the baby's initials for decoration on the cake. I've seen cakes with initials in icing but where do such pretty initial patterns come from? I assume they can be done in buttercream? Any help would be appreciated. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
MYCHEFTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYCHEFTX Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 5

Hi ,

Try candy land crafts on line or search for jem cutters . They usually carry unusual cutters for fondant work . I have seen them but Ive been in and out of so many sites I cant quite remember where I saw them but if I had to guess ,Id try these sites. Oh another way is to find them in books or magazines and in the back of the books and magazines they usually reference suppliers for their illustartions. It what I usually do when I cant find a source.

Good luck !
If you find them let me know where.
Cindy

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 5

You can also make them out of royal icing or cut them out of fondant and stick them onto the cake are they to go on top of the cake? or where?

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 5

Find the font and size you want on your computer. Print it out. Use a pin to punch holes in the outline or shape of the letters. This will leave little "pricks" on the back of the paper. Put this against the side of the cake, and gently rub over it with your hand or a fondant smoother. The outline will be on your cake. Either pipe the icing or follow for your fondant monogram.

HTH, icon_smile.gif
Pat

Debbie56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie56 Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 5

These are all great ideas! Thank you for taking the time to answer. The initials will be put on top of a sheetcake but I bet once it's seen that I may get other orders (if I do a good job that is). I hadn't thought about using fondant just for the initials nor using the pin technique to transfer a pattern on the cake. Again thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%