Baking 4 Cake Layers Instead Of 2

Decorating By HeatherC Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 11:53am by HerBoudoir

HeatherC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherC Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:42am
post #1 of 3

I was browsing cookbooks in a bookstore today and saw a recipe for a chocolate mousse cake. The instructions said to bake the cake in four 9" pans, about 1 1/2 cups of batter each, to make four thin layers. The cake was then filled with a chocolate mousse, covered with ganache, then mini chocolate chips pressed into the sides.

What is the advantage of baking four layers instead of baking two and torting them? Just to save time? Or does it allow you to bake them thinner? I like using three pans instead of torting but I never heard of four. Of course, my oven does not appear to be level so I have to level all my cakes anyway...my husband said he would help level the oven but has not gotten around to it.

The book was called "Death by Chocolate Cakes" by Marcel Desaulniers and I didn't buy it because the last five scratch cakes I baked were way too dry and I'm discouraged. For some reason I have better luck with doctored mixes.

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:09am
post #2 of 3

Maybe they were doing it that way because the average person probably wouldn't feel confident torting the layers. I'm sure it would come out better baking two layers and then torting because it wouldn't have as many crusts.

As far as leveling the oven goes, if you have an electric oven it's easy. Pull the drawer out and you'll see four feet on screws, one at each corner. Just turn the screws to level it. Leveling a washing machine is hard, but leveling the stove doesn't take any muscle icon_biggrin.gif If I wait for my husband to do those little things for me, they never get done.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:53am
post #3 of 3

I'll agree - it's probably so the average person doesn't have to torte the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%